Main Menu

Carter thermoquad rebuild

Started by Noah Swimley, May 16, 2020, 11:45:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Noah Swimley

I am trying to rebuild my carburetor on my 1973 Plymouth barracuda 4 barrel 340. It sticks from time to time and stays at max rpms and wont back off, unless I turn it off. Sometimes itll also have a very rough idle. From what I've been told the best bet is to rebuild the carburetor and replace the gaskets. I have never done one before so I'd like to know what kit I should buy and if there are any good videos, or directions out there that I can follow.

7E-Bodies

You did it, Noah! You'll like it here much better than on FB. A lot of great help here.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JS29

:welcome: @Noah Swimley  I am not vary good with carbs but @ScottSmith_Harms is. he restores them.  :handshake:

Chryco Psycho

Welcome & beautiful Cuda  :wave:
The TQ is a great carb when it runs right & a pain in the ass when it doesn't , I would suggest you get the info on rebuilding it from the factory service manual available on this site , the biggest issue is if the bakelite body is warped , the rest is easy .
Of course we can help you also !

ScottSmith_Harms

Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned, you can certainly rebuild it yourself, it isn't really that difficult to do a basic gasket change level rebuild (basically just main body gaskets, a new needle & seat set, an accelerator pump, and a couple of O-rings). That said, if you decide to do a complete rebuild or restoration it gets far more complicated like removing the shafts, butterflies, etc. Just depends on your personal mechanical abilities. BTW, I've found VERY few with fuel bowls warped beyond factory specs. Most have a small amount of warpage from new, few were "absalutely flat". A small amount of warpage is not a problem due to the gaskets absorbing some of it along with the bolts holding pressure down on them.

If you want the "works" I can help you with a restoration. Your TQ would cost $399.00 plus shipping and approximately 8-10 weeks. I only do complete restorations and each gets run tested on a mule engine before shipping.

Thanks!
Scott

JS29

Bullitt-

I've rebuilt better than half a dozen mostly with very good results.. only time I've seen one stick open is when I tightened down the manifold bolts before checking that it won't bind, just lightly snug at first & test before competently tightening. They will need to be re-tightened after a heat cycle. See if the carburetor sticks open when off the car, if so find the culprit before disassembly. I hear the throttle shafts can wear & need bushings installed though I've never encountered this problem.
  The last few I rebuilt I spent a lot of time measuring all of the settings per the instructions that come in the kit going through all of them like 3-times. I was amazed how far off some settings were. Also these adjustments need to be made in order I found out the hard way.
  If you encounter specific issues there's a good FB group  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2347552141947406/

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Check for warpage first. Adjustments should be done to factory specs for best results. You will want to use the fsm to set it up. Probably the best street carb ever when they are tuned correctly.
Sheldon

RacerX

I haven't bought anything from these guys yet, but I have heard they are good for TQ kits:

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Carter-Thermoquad-Carburetor-Kits_c_602.html

I have a couple TQ to rebuild myself so I will be ordering at some point...

7E-Bodies

@noah swimley I knew these guys would set you up good. This forum is a great place.

Kevin

Cuda Cody

That's a good looking car!!!  Welcome to the forum @Noah Swimley   :welcome: 

When you say it's "sticking" at the max RPM is the carb getting stick up like it's binding up n something?  Does the gas pedal stick to the floor when this happens or does the gas pedal act normal?

Noah Swimley

The gas pedal does not stick or go down when it happens. The butterfly sometimes sticks a little as well. I've replacedThe choke control switch because it was bad

Bullitt-

I could see a mal adjusted choke or choke pull off allowing the fast idle cam to stay engaged ... 
What do you do to get the idle speed back down?
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

7E-Bodies

Trust me when I say sticking throttles on e bodies are a bad thing. How I miss this 318 3 speed manual 71 convertible. It was still wide open while upside down.

Kevin

cudamadd

When the. Right foot steps on a T.Q. It has to be one of the best sounds I have never herd   :australia: