Main Menu

Choke thermostat

Started by jlemler, June 14, 2017, 05:56:00 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

Where is the best place to get a choke thermostat for a 70 four barrel 383 Cuda?  Looked on ebay.  They were rather pricey.  Thanks, Jeff

Chryco Psycho

I would check with Dave @ Roseville first , you get a site discount there too

EV2RTSE

6bblgt

if it is for a 'cuda - it would've originally been a HOLLEY

jlemler

O.K. gang I'm back to being confused.  I was always told and under the assumption that the correct carb for a 1970 383 Plymouth cuda 4 barrel automatic transmission was a carter not a Holley.

EV2RTSE

Nope, and believe me you're not the first to think that. Early on I thought the same thing too. There have been literally hundreds of pages of threads on various message boards about this whole mess. But long story short, like 6bblgt said if your car is a (BS VIN) 383 Cuda, you should have a Holley carb. The blue engine 383-4 BARRAcuda and NON-R/T Challengers got the Carter. But over the years lots of cars with Holleys got them swapped out for Carters, which adds to the confusion. Some even say there was a recall or problem with carb fires with the Holleys which is why so many got changed over.

The Carter choke unit is $, unfortunately the Holley choke is $$$. Best bet is post a wanted ad or look for a good used one. I bought a good used one on ebay a few weeks back for a good price. I think Tony's parts has used ones too for a fair price. 

jlemler

Thanks for the info.  Does anyone have the Holley carb number I'm looking for?  I can only imagine the cost but I'm going to Carlisle let the search begin.  If it's not one thing it's another.

R4217 manual with evaporative emission control N95
R4218 auto with evaporative emission control N95
R4367 manual with or w/o air conditioning
R4368 auto
R4369 auto with air conditioning H51
R4736 manual with carb fresh air package -metal hood N96
R4737 auto with carb fresh air package-metal hood N96
R4738 manual with evaporative emission control N95 and carb fresh air package-metal hood N96
R4739 auto with evaporative emission control N95 and carb fresh air package-metal hood N96