Main Menu

Clutch / Pressure plate question

Started by ksierens, February 12, 2019, 09:12:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

don't use a 10.5 " if you have a 130 tooth , For similar $$ get the 10.95 " unit it has a lot more holding power with the same pressure  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

I agree: I always use a 10.95 "scalloped" setup.
Sheldon

jamesroney

All modern clutches use diaphragm style covers, and they work just fine.  Every high performance car built after about 1980 uses a diaphragm clutch.  Light pedal effort, excellent grip, fast release...what's not to like?  (pretty sure that your Viper or Challenger Hellcat is not running a Borg and Beck...)

The over-center spring is a compromise to overcome excessive pedal effort.  Take it out, and you will have no regrets.  Linkage lasts much longer, and the pedal stuck to the floor nonsense is gone.

I am baffled by your choice of a 130 tooth flywheel in a 440.  Given the choice, I would think you would want the full 143 tooth, 11 inch set-up.  (and yes, I am aware that there is not much difference between the 10.95 and 11 inch disc)

That being said, I LOVE my diaphragm clutch.  I am running a Valeo from a mid 80's Corvette, and a 23 spline, 11 inch disc from a Mopar truck on a 130 tooth billet flywheel in my 383.  Pretty sure I paid under $200.

I will concede that, power shifts at 6,000 RPM might prefer a shaved coil spring type lever clutch...but I don't know.

BS23N0E

Chryco Psycho

The 143 tooth requires the bigger belhousing so the 130 tooth is a better fit
The 11" & 10.95" use the same clutch disc 

ksierens

Ok, again thanks. I ordered a RAM Muscle Car Borg & Beck 10.95" 23 spline kit from Jeg's  They had free shipping and $30 off special.
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

Todd489

I have the MacLeod RXT twin disc clutch in my car, it's also a diaphragm clutch set up, very easy clutch pedal, I use this clutch for over a year now on my car with over 600 foot pounds of torque!  I have not had one bit of a problem with it! and I also know about a dozen of other people who use McLeod diaphragm clutches on their cars and also I've never heard of any problems!!

Chryco Psycho

I have a B&B Long Street twin Mcleod behind my 512  :twothumbsup: