Main Menu

Cold Case vs Champion

Started by Solarguy, December 04, 2018, 03:04:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Solarguy

Looks like I may be in the market for a new radiator.  No budget for a glenray.  Leary of the brass stock look alike rads on the market from OER and US Radiator due to the poor lifespan of my current US radiator 4 row high efficiency core.  This leaves Champion and Cold Case as potential replacements.  The Champion comes as a 3 or 4 row while the Cold Case only comes as a 2 row but the risers are huge at 1+inches. The tanks on the cold case are stamped with a somewhat factory look and we all know what the Champions look like.  All things being equal, I prefer the look of the cold case.   

I see a lot of cars locally that run champion and the feedback is always good.  I've never seen a cold case in person and therefore have no feedback on results.  Car is 70 Cuda, 340 auto 2800 stall using both radiator and aux. trans cooler, HD thermal fan  clutch, factory shroud. NEVER any temp issues.  Local rad shop is quoting me between 5-6 hundred for a recore where as a 4 row 26" champion is 320 and cold case 325. 

I guess my question is this..will a big 2 row cool as well as my old 4 row did and does anyone here run a cold case radiator? 

https://www.coldcaseradiators.com/dodge/66-74-a-b-c-e-body-ac-aluminum-performance-radiator-at-17-x26/#tab-4

CudaMoparRay

Bottom line I have had both the Champion 4 row and the Cold-Case 2 row and they both cool equally as well.
I however like the Cold-Case better in that it looks way nicer and proves that number of rows really don't mean anything if size is not factored in.
The one negative on both is that neither comes with a direct OEM installation for the OEM fan shield so you have to make your own or run without one.

RUNCHARGER

I dunno. I sell lots of Champions and rarely get a complaint. They are cheap alright but seem to be okay for awhile.
Sheldon

Solarguy

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on December 04, 2018, 05:42:37 PM
The one negative on both is that neither comes with a direct OEM installation for the OEM fan shield so you have to make your own or run without one.

I did not know that.  They both look like they have a wide flange on each side to fasten shroud to

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Solarguy on December 04, 2018, 06:05:14 PM
Quote from: CudaMoparRay on December 04, 2018, 05:42:37 PM

I did not know that.  They both look like they have a wide flange on each side to fasten shroud to

Maybe if you buy the OEM fan shroud brackets it may work.  :notsure:

Solarguy

I just read your installation thread from last year.  I see they re positioned the overflow nipple to the drivers side.  I wonder if the mounting bolt spacing to core support was corrected too. 

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Solarguy on December 04, 2018, 06:38:08 PM
I just read your installation thread from last year.  I see they re positioned the overflow nipple to the drivers side.  I wonder if the mounting bolt spacing to core support was corrected too.

They told me they were working on that but that was quite some time ago.
Feel free to give them a call and ask. They were always willing to talk. Tell them Ray sent you.

Katfish

Good info, I always thought Champion had provisions for the factory shroud.m
Please post what you find and end up with.

Solarguy

Well my decision just got a little easier.  The radiator shop just called, that 5-600 recore job turned into a 795 quote to recore using a high density 3/8 on center 3 row core.  That puts it within reach of a glen ray and way too much to salvage my old us radiator.  I'm going to pick it up and pay the 1 hr shop time he invested in the repair attempt as that is the right thing to do. 

I'm not all that surprised in the high quote, copper and shop time prices are high.  I was somewhat skeptical of using a new copper core anyway as   being in the solar water heating business, I see everyday how the copper solar panels made today of recycled Chinese copper don't stand the test of time like panels of yesteryear.  Heck, just last month I had to repair 5 leaks in the evaporator coil of my top of the line Friedrich 28000 btu wall a/c unit.  It was only 18 months old.  A/c tech said the same about today's copper.  At around 300 bucks for a new aluminum radiator, if I get 10 years from it I'll be happy and buy a new one if it leaks.  Hate to join the throw it away society but it is what it is.