Main Menu

Convert radiator support from 22'' to 26''?

Started by TelisSE440, January 17, 2019, 08:47:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

TelisSE440

Hi, i decided to replace my radiator because of a leak and overheating issues. I purchased a 26" Champion aluminum radiator and i saw that my car has a 22" core support. My question is if i should install it as is (preferred method), or do the big work and install the 26'' core support. My only worry is if the 26" radiator would cool the engine adequately with the 22" core support. The engine is a mild 440 with manual trans. Don't know if anyone of you guys had done it...

Cuda Cody

I can tell you that I had a 22" re-cored with an extra row and it used the dimples.  It cools a stroked big block without any issues at all. :alan2cents:  So if you don't want to mod the supports you can also make a 22" radiator better.

750-h2

Another negative on replacing your core support is that you will be losing your partial VIN that is stamped on the support. :crying:

TelisSE440

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 17, 2019, 08:50:00 AM
I can tell you that I had a 22" re-cored with an extra row and it used the dimples.  It cools a stroked big block without any issues at all. :alan2cents:  So if you don't want to mod the supports you can also make a 22" radiator better.

You're right Cody, I saw that a lot in Mopar forums. Unfortunately, i learned it a little late...  :headbang:

js27

Either way should work but if you could return the 26" and got the 22" re cored with the extra row may be the way to go. If you can not return it then try mounting it on your existing support. If it cools your 440 then you are good to go. I am not sure how much there is to gain cooling wise with the 26" support opposed to the 22"  I have had 440's most of my life and I had over heating problems until I started running Flow Koller water pumps and matched thermostats. I never had another problem. My Challenger has a mild built 440--30 over with a bunch of bolt ons and I live in South Carolina where it is 90 to 100 degrees in the summer and I have never over heated once driving around the local streets in traffic. I started with a 160 thermostat and ended up changing it to a 180 because the car would never get over 160 and would bog coming off the line. Now with the 180 it runs at 180 and this past summer was a hot one and I got stuck in traffic for a while and it did bump up to 190. As soon as we started moving right down to 180. Pump and stat will run you around $100.00 but in my opinion well worth ever penny.
JS27

TelisSE440

Quote from: 750-h2 on January 17, 2019, 08:57:40 AM
Another negative on replacing your core support is that you will be losing your partial VIN that is stamped on the support. :crying:

I don't know, maybe i'm wrong 750-h2, but couldn't i change this part only and be done with it? (E-Body Passenger side 26 Radiator Support)

TelisSE440

Unfortunately js27, i live in Europe, so i can't return it (that is, not until i have paid a lot). Anyway, the 440 has a Meziere electric water pump (from previous owner). But i have never heard of the FlowKooler pumps. I will take a look into it because  i will install the original pump housing for the heater to work in the near future.

dodj

Quote from: TelisSE440 on January 17, 2019, 08:47:02 AM
Hi, i decided to replace my radiator because of a leak and overheating issues. I purchased a 26" Champion aluminum radiator and i saw that my car has a 22" core support. My question is if i should install it as is (preferred method), or do the big work and install the 26'' core support. My only worry is if the 26" radiator would cool the engine adequately with the 22" core support. The engine is a mild 440 with manual trans. Don't know if anyone of you guys had done it...
I installed a 26" champion rad onto my 22" rad support. About 5 years ago.  Keeps the 440 cool just fine.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: TelisSE440 on January 17, 2019, 09:11:10 AM

I don't know, maybe i'm wrong 750-h2, but couldn't i change this part only and be done with it?

YES you're correct...no VIN loss ...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

js27

I also running a car to lean can cause over heating problem also. Just a thought.

JS27

TelisSE440

Quote from: dodj on January 17, 2019, 09:49:16 AM
I installed a 26" champion rad onto my 22" rad support. About 5 years ago.  Keeps the 440 cool just fine.

Nice Dodj  :bigthumb: Could you tell me if you used original fan and shroud or electric fans.

750-h2

Quote from: TelisSE440 on January 17, 2019, 09:11:10 AM

I don't know, maybe i'm wrong 750-h2, but couldn't i change this part only and be done with it? (E-Body Passenger side 26 Radiator Support)

Nice! I never knew that part was available available!

dodj

Quote from: TelisSE440 on January 17, 2019, 01:00:59 PM

Nice Dodj  :bigthumb: Could you tell me if you used original fan and shroud or electric fans.
I used the 5 blade mopar performance clutch fan (which moves more air than the seven blade, at least that's what I was told back in the day and seems to prove true) and no shroud.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Quote from: TelisSE440 on January 17, 2019, 01:00:59 PM

I used the 5 blade mopar performance clutch fan (which moves more air than the seven blade, at least that's what I was told back in the day and seems to prove true) and no shroud.

I live in Ontario Canada, not southern USA, so depending on your location, a shroud may be a good idea. I plan on fitting one, just haven't needed it so I keep putting it off.

RUNCHARGER

A shroud is a really big deal in keeping them cool especially at low speed and idling in traffic.
Sheldon