Main Menu

Coolant and Cylinder Head Question

Started by mopar thunder, January 04, 2019, 02:46:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

I'm afraid of the answer but I will ask anyway, It appears there is coolant coming out of the exhaust port on my Charger.  Cracked head?......... I checked the freeze plugs and they are good. It does appear to be above the interface of the cylinder head and engine block.  I haven't pulled it yet.  Any other thoughts?

303 Mopar

Is it actually coming out of the port and not the front or rear bolt hole?

Chryco Psycho

Big Block , if so all of the exhaust studs are open into the water jacket and are a far more likely source for the coolant right beside the exhaust
If it is a small block the 2 end bolts have the same situation

mopar thunder

Quote from: 303 Mopar on January 04, 2019, 02:57:21 PM
Is it actually coming out of the port and not the front or rear bolt hole?
I am taking off the exhaust manifold today so will have a better idea. At this point it is seeping down from the manifold. That would be great if it is the studs.  :fingerscrossed:

aussiemark

If not the studs maybe just the head gasket.

70 Challenger Lover

It's probably the exhaust studs that thread into the head. There are freeze plugs hidden in there too that could leak but I'd bet it's the studs. Once you have the exhaust manifold off, it should be more clear where it's coming from.

TelisSE440

Hoping it isn't the problem i had :fingerscrossed:  My 906 heads had cracked into a slim long line under the Cylinder 3 and 5 exhaust ports. It was about 2 inches long. When the car was at working temperature, it would spray coolant down the side of the block and eventually create a puddle. Replaced the head in the end... In forums, i have seen that kind of problem but not many times...

mopar thunder

Good News, it was the stud. Replaced and all is good.  :woohoo:

Chryco Psycho

That is great , glad it was a simple issue  :bigthumb:

jimynick

Congrats! It's nice to catch a break every now and again, eh?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

mopar thunder

Quote from: jimynick on January 09, 2019, 08:18:29 PM
Congrats! It's nice to catch a break every now and again, eh?  :cheers:
Yes.....yes it is.  :cheers:

RUNCHARGER

Nice: For me it's generally an issue of having to change the studs because they break off.
Sheldon