Main Menu

Cooling fan issue

Started by fireguyfire, March 11, 2021, 05:42:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

My 73 challenger has a 1970 383 out of an RT challenger in it which is great.
I added a Sniper EFI this winter, and went through the engine to make it look stock; it had a whole bunch of next day chrome items on it I wanted home.
Anyways, I also changed back to what I thought was a stock non AC fan for a 383.
Today I took the car out for a quick rip to let the Sniper "learn" and as I would up the engine a bit I could hear a tick tick tick at the froNt of the engine, and then whoosh, a bunch of steam came up.
Shut her down and it turns out the tip of the fan blades had cut a notch out of the bottom of the upper rad hose!
Needless to say this sucked as my brand new engine bay was covered in coolant.
After towing the car back to my shop I discovered the cut in the hose.
The fan is a non AC 19" fan, and the motor mounts are new.
Sitting there appears to be about 1/2" clearance between the fan blades and the hose but obviously when I put my foot into it that gap disappeared.

So I'm looking for thoughts; I could modify the end of the FSM blades a bit and shorten them and make a steeper radius on the ends; I'm wondering if this is a side effect of having a 383 in an original 340 car; perhaps the rad discharge height is different?
It had a flex fan in it from an 80's truck I believe, and I removed that to make things go back to stock; the old fan didn't touch the hose, obviously.

Any thoughts or ideas on what I should do to not g he ace this happen again?

fireguyfire

Pic 2

Cudajason

that does not look like a factory fan to me.

I assume you changed the rad to a big block rad?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

fireguyfire

It's the rad that's been in the car with the big block for years; however doing some research it looks like big block rads have the upper rad inlet on the top on the passenger side of the rad; mine gas that inlet in the middle of the top so the upper rad hose goes over top of the apex of the Dan rotation.
Perhaps this is my issue.

fireguyfire

Can someone post up a photo of the correct fan and rad setup for a 1970 non AC 383?

Skdmark

Is your car a 22 or 26 inch radiator?
Your fan and radiator do not look correct for an e-body. Your radiator looks pre-70.

My 71 383 R/T with AT is 22 inch.  Upper hose goes to drivers side.
7 blade fan without clutch.

70 cuda with 383 below. Looks like my setup.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

fireguyfire

Looks like I'll be hunting for a new rad.
Is the correct fan a 19"?

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

fireguyfire

Only AC cars got the fan clutch, correct?

Skdmark

Not just AC cars, also on Hemis, axle packages etc. There are several different clutches.
Paired with a 26 inch radiator.
-Harlan Ellison

fireguyfire

Just went out and checked; the rad in my car is a 22"

Marked    2898 045

Anyone know what car this rad came out of?
Hopefully a b body auto as I've got a 69 charger that needs one!

Skdmark

68 22 inch B body  with Auto radiator
-Harlan Ellison

fireguyfire

My charger is a 69 440 auto so that might work out well when I pull it out of the challenger

Chryco Psycho

I would use the clutch fan , so it s not 100% correct but it is the better way to go & you had no problem before . The big plus is you already own it !!