Main Menu

Correct fan?

Started by fireguyfire, September 18, 2019, 12:46:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I'm stripping down my engine to pull it out of the car; I have a 73 rally with a 1970 383 in it.
Is this the correct fan for this engine?
My previous 383's always had a regular type fan.

Burdar

The factory never used a flex fan.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on September 18, 2019, 12:49:29 PM
The factory never used a flex fan.

Certainly not on an E Body :iagree:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

Interesting topic about flex fans. I asked about this about 5 years ago on another Mopar site and no one responded. My 74 Charger Rallye 360 auto trans had one of these flex fans when I bought it in 1987. The fan blades have the pentastar and a part number of 3462190 on each blade  and another number of 24654. It had an aluminum spacer marked as KCP and number 2120130. I since found another one on a 74 Charger (non rallye but A/C)with a 360 I bought with the same Flex fan/ numbers. I can't say for sure they originally had flex fans but I sure see them available.  See photo.
Terry

RUNCHARGER

My 75 Road |Runner came with a flex fan like that from the factory. I agree though, most likely not on an E-body.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I highly recommend a clutch fan & Flex-a-lite fan for best cooling ..... not that AB gets hot !!

WCC

Been using the #216 fan from Tony and it is awesome. Car runs very cool and it moves a lot of air.
http://tonysparts.com/newproductsE.htm

I also run the 2806070 clutch and it is a great combination - those old school builders knew what they were doing. :twothumbsup:

303 Mopar

Do you want a correct numbers OEM fan or one that just simply works?   :notsure:

fireguyfire

OEM; it's not the right engine but I want it to look 1970 383 factory at least; I'll be changing out the second day Holley carb, street dominator intake, chrome finned valve covers and Hooker headers and replacing with correct parts

70 Challenger Lover

I believe 383 engines that did not have AC or max cooling came with fixed seven blade fans and no clutch. Both of my 1970 383 cars had that. Worked but creates a bit of fan noise. I like the idea of adding the clutch fan instead to reduce noise. Even if it isn't technically correct, it looks and works great.

Chryco Psycho

The 383 Street Dom is hard to find & one of the best intakes , I would paint it orange & run it  :bigthumb:

fireguyfire

It's tall and with the carb on it won't allow me to run a factory air cleaner and pie plate.