Main Menu

Distributor gear question

Started by usraptor, May 09, 2019, 07:34:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

My engine builder replaced my cam with a "Bullet" Custom grind hydraulic roller.  He gave me a Crane Cams distributor gear (66970-1) to run with the cam.  Three questions:  First of all how do I get the OEM gear off the intermediate shaft?   It is not pinned.  Is it a press fit or is it a solid piece?   I didn't think to ask my engine builder this when he gave it to me.  Secondly the Crane cam gear is a Steel gear and several posts I read online while trying to find the answer to question No. 1 say you should run a Bronze distributor gear with a roller cam and a couple others say that the bronze gear wear prematurely and it's preferably to run the steel gear.  So which is correct?  Also the Crane gear is drilled for a pin.  Do I drill out my OEM shaft for the pin?  Lastly,  I noticed that 440 source sells a HD intermediate shaft with a HD steel gear. (http://store.440source.com/Pinned-HD-Intermediate-Shaft-New/productinfo/200-1078/)  However, considering this whole set up is half the price the the Crane gear by itself, I have my doubts as to its quality.  Anybody have any experience with the 440 Source shaft and gear?  I was going to call my engine builder in the morning but thought I'd throw it out there tonight for a quicker answer, possibly. 

Chryco Psycho

In my experience billet roller cams require the bronze drive gear , it is easy to just buy the shaft with the gear already in place .
this is one of the downsides of running rollers on the street , you will have to replace the oil & the gear regularly because of wear , . if you are running a mech fuel pump you also need the bronze tip fuel pump pushrod or it will get chewed up too.
I have never used the 440 Source part

usraptor

Thanks Chryco, I was hoping you would respond.  :worship: :twothumbsup:

Chryco Psycho

I would probably try the 440 Source part , you will need to keep an eye on it anyway , most of the parts i have bought from them have been great  :bigthumb: