Main Menu

Does the Vapor Seperator require a Fuel Filter??

Started by valman, January 18, 2021, 01:45:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

valman

Hi all, I keep getting conflicting advice as to whether a Vapor Seperator still requires a fuel filter as well between it and the carbs. I can't find any confirmation in the FSM

Thanks guys...

750-h2

I was always of the belief that the vapor separator also had a built in fuel filter? At least the OEM ones did.

screamindriver

The vapor separator should have a screen in it...But nowhere near the filtering surface area of a real filter...So it depends on how concerned you are about any debris in the line...If you've got new lines and a sending unit sock there's really no reason to have one IMO....The trouble with an additional filter when using the factory hard lines is just where to put it...I temporarily add one for initial start up in the rubber line between the frame and the fuel pump but having a filter before the pump is less than ideal.. After confirming there is no assembly trash anywhere I take them off..

valman

Quote from: screamindriver on January 18, 2021, 02:58:15 PM
The vapor separator should have a screen in it...But nowhere near the filtering surface area of a real filter...So it depends on how concerned you are about any debris in the line...If you've got new lines and a sending unit sock there's really no reason to have one IMO....The trouble with an additional filter when using the factory hard lines is just where to put it...I temporarily add one for initial start up in the rubber line between the frame and the fuel pump but having a filter before the pump is less than ideal.. After confirming there is no assembly trash anywhere I take them off..

This is what I thought also, it comes down to personal preference. Since I will be having a new sock, new fuel lines, new fuel pump then I think the mesh screen inside the vapor separator will be enough to stop any debris.

1 Wild R/T

Vapor separator is NOT a filter....   AVS Pt #7

MoparLeo

A screen is more like a pre filter. There is a lot of junk in the underground tanks you get your fuel from. Especially iof you run Holley carburetors, no such thing as too much filtering.  Just use quality filters.
I recommend one before and one after the pump. The before filter can be mounted anywhere between the tank and the fuel pump.
Would you trust a screen to use as an oil filter or air filter ? I think not. Another forgotten maintenance item.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

valman

@1 Wild R/T that pic is for a four barrel carb.
So for Holley six pack set up I should run a filter before the carbs??

1 Wild R/T

Originally each of the three Holley's had a filter in the carb inlet....  When I ran a Six Pack I didn't bother with the separator, instead I ran a later model fuel filter with the restricted return nipple.. Like the one below..

anlauto

There's also a filter in the gas tank on the sending unit  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

The "sock" on the sending unit tube is the equivalent of the screen on the oil pump pick up. Just meant to catch the big stuff really. Not fine enough or serviceable to be used for a true filter. IMOe
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...