Main Menu

Do I need the two front oil galley plugs installed?

Started by Cudakiller70, June 10, 2017, 12:48:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

Putting my timing cover back on and looking for info to do it right, no leaks.....hopefully.
I found an article and the very first thing it says to make sure you have the oil galley plugs in front of the block or you could have low oil pressure, well of course my motor doesn't have them in. I don't really remember having low oil pressure, but just had factory gauge. This motor has the bolt with the hole in it to oil the timing chain. What's the deal do I need theses holes plugged or not?

Cuda Cody

Post a photo if you can.  But yes, you want the holes plugged so you can build good pressure.  Mopars are known for building awesome oil pressure.  Most of my builds put out about 75 to 80 PSI cold.... almost to much oil pressure.  Once they warm up the settle down around 60 to 70 psi.

1 Wild R/T

The are a number of plugs that need to be in place, however the two openings in the  front of the block are covered by the cam thrust plate & one is intended to drip oil on the timing chain... Some folks insist they need to be plugged but I've pulled apart allot of engines that never had plugs in that location & I've seen no indications of oil starvation.... On the other hand I've torn down an engine that had plugs & it had partially blocked oil to the #1 main & the #1 main was showing copper.....     

Cudakiller70

Here is a picture of what I've got, holes to the left and right of cam, but you probably already know that!
it also looks like I'm missing the oil drip tab EDIT: I know I'm missing the tab, but do I really need it?

1 Wild R/T

Oil drip tab started later, you should have a bolt with a hole drilled lengthwise through it... Goes in the upper right hole...

Cudakiller70

Cudakiller70

I've decided to leave them out, only because the cam thrust plate seems to fit nice and tight to the block, therefore blocking those holes. FWIW did read elsewhere if you use plugs not to drive them in too deep as this will block oil flow to #1 main.
Thanks again