Main Menu

Small block oil galley plugs

Started by MRM82, November 14, 2021, 01:05:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MRM82

How does everyone remove the 2 small oil galley plugs on the front of a small block located behind the cam chain ? They look like miniature freeze plugs. Also I'm assuming its a hollow shaft behind it for a good ways ? Thanks in advance

73_Cuda_4_Me

Are you referring to the block holes in the upper oil galley, or the plugs on the rocker shafts? Neither of my 340's have plugs in the block going into the oil galley...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

MRM82

The plugs going to the rocker shafts behind the plate in your picture

73_Cuda_4_Me

If I were replacing mine, I'd carefully use a die grinder or dremel to partially cut away the wall of the plug, then use small chisel and good needle nose pliers to release the rest of the wall from the tube.

Oh, and have a set of these ready to go....

https://www.manciniracing.com/mopenendplug.html

:bigthumb:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

moparroy

Are we all talking about the same thing?
From your initial question I thought you were referring to the oil plugs behind the cam retainer - either side of the front cam bearing - not the end plugs on the rocker shafts themselves? Pic is of my block before removing them - with the cam removed.
I removed them like a frost plug - but yes it required a little more care as they wanted to go into the oil passage but I was able to pull them out. Did not actually occur to me they were oil till I had the first one half way out. Had I known I might have left them as they would not be rusty.
Interesting when my block came back from the machine shop with all new frost plugs and the short block assembled these plugs were open / missing. I asked the machine shop owner about it and he said they are blocked by the cam retainer so they don't usually bother replacing them.

MRM82

Sorry for the delay, been away for work. I was able to get them out after some thinking. I used heat, some structural screws and a odd angle pry bar that wouldn't hit any mating surfaces. Appreciate the tips though