Main Menu

Oil filter size

Started by cudabob496, November 19, 2017, 09:08:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudabob496

well, the article I read said oil pressure "in the engine" will build faster with
a smaller filter. Right now, when I start my engine with the large K&N filter,
there seems to be about 2/3 secs before the oil gauge needle starts to go up.
I'll just have to see what happens with the smaller K&N filter. At this point I'm still
thinking that pressure will build faster, if the oil passes through less filter material.
But there are several factors to consider, ie how much does the filter medium restrict
flow. Also, when engine is started, oil filter is already full, so we may be looking at
"how fast does a pressure pulse" move, to build pressure in an oil system that is already full.
Will research more.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cudabob496

72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cudabob496

gotta wonder, why is filter so small on an 09 Forester??

Jim AAR

Like I said earlier" I always use the recommended Oil Filter for the engine account the hours (in the many thousands under all conditions (Warm/Cold/Humid/Dry), different loads and startup procedures) of testing that an engine is subject to by the manufacturer would weed out any issues. Too me this is like trying to rebuild the wheel when it is already made and rather pointless."

If you think someone (backyard mechanic, engine builder, etc.) knows more than the manufacturer of your engine, well go for it.

Not for me though, i'll trust the EXPERTS = Engine Manufacturer & NOT the NON EXPERTS any day of the week.

Kinda reminds me of the Lifelock commercial where the guy is sitting in the Dentist's chair and is told he has the worst cavity he has ever seen and gets up and tells him to have a good day, so the guy asks, aren't you going to fix it and he says "Oh, no I'm just a Dental Monitor" .... :alan2cents:  :))

dodj

Quote from: cudabob496 on November 25, 2017, 04:25:43 PM
gotta wonder, why is filter so small on an 09 Forester??
Teeny tiny engine. But if you like, Use that filter on your 496. Your choice but I wouldn't recommend it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

cudabob496

its a high revving 2.5 liter engine. Filter sits in palm
of my hand. There has to be specific reasons the engineers
designed it that way. And of course, Subarus last longer than
all other auto brands, they say.

cudabob496

dodj

Quote from: cudabob496 on November 25, 2017, 05:01:45 PM
its a high revving 2.5 liter engine. Filter sits in palm
of my hand. There has to be specific reasons the engineers
designed it that way.
You are correct. They designed it for that 2.5L engine. Little engine. Little filter. Lower flow demands
My 6.7L Cummins uses a filter that is about 8" tall. Big engine. Big filter. Higher flow demands.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

cudabob496

Quote from: dodj on November 25, 2017, 09:21:05 PM
Quote from: cudabob496 on November 25, 2017, 05:09:17 PM
https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru-service-seattle-subaru-oil-filters-explained/
That pretty much explains why smaller filters are not a good thing. :drinkingbud:

Well, may be a good thing if you get oil pressure up quicker to all parts of the engine
at startup. Just might have to change the filter more often. I'm doing oil changes about every
2000 miles. But as I mentioned, I'm going to try the smaller K&N anyway, and will see if
there is a noticeable difference.