Main Menu

nos 6 pac filter and lid

Started by cuda hunter, February 27, 2020, 06:40:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

What is an NOS 6 pac filter and lid worth?  They are dated 1984. 

I need these but don't want to over pay. 

Also, are they correct for my 70 V chally? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JH27N0B

Any pictures?
There are several different iterations of air filters over the years.  The correct early ones were orange with holes stamped in the outer "screen".  By the mid 70s, the color of the plastic was changed from orange to black.  Then at some point the outer "screen" was back to orange but the outer screen was now a rectangular pattern.  The orange ones with the holes are the only ones correct for a restoration. They were worth over $400 at one point but I'm not sure what they're worth now with close but not perfect repros available.
Lids are repro'd too but I'm sure originals are worth more, but not sure how much.

cuda hunter

great info.  Thanks.

Here are the pics I have.

So, pretty much no this is not what I'm after for a 70 restoration.  Correct?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

The lid is great, the filter is an over the counter 70's piece, usable for sure.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

Is the lid and filter worth 250? 

The lid appears to be correct for a 70 build? 

ply64post

A question?

The wide lip lids were used on the A12, TA'S and AAR'S, so what are the applications for the narrow lip lids? 
The lids were used in specifically in fresh air and non freh air applications??

Thank You in advance
                                                                         Jeff

anlauto

I think $250 is on the high side, the filter has very little value :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I had a mishap with my V code a while back where I carelessly set the lid on the radiator support while I was playing with the carbs, and it fell off onto the driveway and got dinged and chipped.   :pullinghair:  I went online and bought a new one right away for around $100.  Question is, are there any differences between the repro ones being sold today for $100-125 and an OEM one from 30 years ago? If so, they are small differences that I can't spot.  If not, I wouldn't pay more than $125-150 for the pair.
As for their use, they were used on a lot of cars from the late 60s/early 70s.  Ramcharger and airgrabber hood cars, tri power cars except trans am and A12, and I'm pretty sure multi carb shaker cars also.

GrandpaKevin

Any idea on these filters?

I've had them for years, both were new, used for mock up only.

I went with a K&N filter instead.

These 2 are buried in the basement somewhere.

HP2

Wow, I can remember when a set up like those was selling for a couple thousand and filters alone where most of that price.

JH27N0B

There was a time when the OEM filters with the hole pattern outer screen were bringing $450 or so.  I don't recall ever seeing them sell for a thousand.
There's been several rounds of reproductions over the last 10 years first by Fram and then others, they are very close and that has cut demand for the originals.  I have a picture saved somewhere of the differences with the repros, but it is one of those things an expert has to look close at to see, like slight variations of pattern of holes and inner screen differences.

cuda hunter

thanks guys.  I sure appreciate you stopping me from paying too much.

And there is a set up close to this for 450 out there.  I understand why it's still out there now.

mccannix

Agree with most here, the lid and filter are common items, not too hard to find in various combinations...not something everyone is looking for.
If a person had to have it, around $200.00 would be good for buyer and seller.
The repro lids are all around in $125.00 range and likely now look as good as originals.
Initial repro lid runs did not have the pressed in washer at stud holes and concave stud opening area was not as deep as originals, but over the years with later runs they corrected that.
The first ones still float around today though.
Same with the A12,AAR/TA lids, first reproduction runs were same width all around edge.
Originals have this recess at the front, and after watching the boards and seeing comments, the repro manufacturer of these corrected it over time.....I think.
I havent seen a current a repro wide lip lid to know.
Regarding the two NOS filters, someone who would pay top $$ for one would likely want to examine them in person, since as stated above, so many variations have been done now.
You know they are real but the buyer doesn't.
I have even seen NOS boxes at shows with a supposedly NOS filter inside but on examining it, was a reproduction someone slid in.

cuda hunter

So on my V code challenger would it have been a small lip lid?

And was the wide lip lid used   ONLY    on t/a's, aar's and a12's? 

mccannix