Main Menu

Edelbrock or Holley or ???

Started by 340Challman, February 21, 2022, 06:58:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340Challman

Hi guys, I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for so I'll toss this out. I'm rebuilding my engine for the resto and am trying to decide on my carburetor. I'm a Holley guy through and through. I also prefer mechanical secondaries. My engine builder wants me to go with a vacuum secondary. I understand his reasoning, but when I'm getting my foot into it, I'd prefer to be a tad rich than anything else.

Holley no longer makes a vacuum secondary carb with electric choke. It's all Demon and Quick Fuel. My builder suggested the Edelbrock 1411. I'm not familiar with the Eddy AFB/AVS style carbs. In looking at it, I don't see how it is vacuum secondary. I see no diaphragm. How does this carb function?

And finally, What are your real world experiences with both? What do you like and why? What about Demon and Quick Fuel? I know nothing about them.
Thanks all.
Kevin

headejm

I did a quick search on the Holley website and they offer over 50 vacuum secondary carburetors with electric choke.

Here is a 750 cfm  -  Part # 0-80508S

Here is a 670 cfm - Part # 0-80670

Many more sizes and styles available.

dodj

Quick fuel carbs are great imo. Like a holley,  but better and more adjustable.
But carbs are getting expensive. FI isn't too much more.....

I have a quick fuel BD850 street series mech secondaries. Love it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

340Challman

Quote from: headejm on February 21, 2022, 07:06:52 PM
I did a quick search on the Holley website and they offer over 50 vacuum secondary carburetors with electric choke.

Here is a 750 cfm  -  Part # 0-80508S

Here is a 670 cfm - Part # 0-80670

Many more sizes and styles available.

Doh! I went back to see how I missed those. I went straight into the "performance & Race" category.  :bricks:  I'm a dummy. :haha:

I'd still like input on the Eddy carb. Anyone?
Kevin

Ramman

Ask your builder which Edelbrock he likes with vacuum secondaries.

tparker

I have little facts I can add, but I have always liked Carter Carbs. My ThermoQuad was great and now I have an edlebrock 1411 that is going on my 340 stroker. I also have a carter avs I'll try. I thought all E bodies 4 barrels were Carter ABS/AVS? But it appears big blocks used Holleys. Never had a big block  :'( If it is a small block, the Carter should have been stock (except for the 6 pack).

The Edlebrock carb is essentially an AVS, which stands for 'aluminum vacuum secondaries', from my limited understanding. Someone can probably speak to all the actual difference. The carter AFB is mechanical. If you're interested, the Edlebrocks allow for easy tuning, even while the engine is running. Jets are VERY easy to change. I guess this is of limited use if you're not racing and tuning stuff.

ZippyZoo

According to the 971 Service Manual, Carter "AVS" stands for "Air Valve Secondary"! 
Maybe Edelbrock came up with their own name for it??  Not "direct" vacuum pot actuation as Holley.

Skdmark

If you are not doing a OEM resto, I highly recommend going EFI with the Holley Sniper including the fuel pump and ignition setup.
I just completed an install on a 318 last year. Really enjoyed the results.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

erik70rt

The biggest question is how are you rebuilding your engine.  Stock?  Mild performance?  Wild build? 

How much vacuum are you running?  In my experience, anything with 5lbs or less vacuum and you will not be able to run an Edelbrock or a Carter and have it perform well.
I've used Proform Carbs on my last two builds and they worked great. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

340Challman

Quote from: tparker on February 22, 2022, 10:29:08 AM
I have little facts I can add, but I have always liked Carter Carbs. My ThermoQuad was great and now I have an edlebrock 1411 that is going on my 340 stroker. I also have a carter avs I'll try. I thought all E bodies 4 barrels were Carter ABS/AVS? But it appears big blocks used Holleys. Never had a big block  :'( If it is a small block, the Carter should have been stock (except for the 6 pack).

The Edlebrock carb is essentially an AVS, which stands for 'aluminum vacuum secondaries', from my limited understanding. Someone can probably speak to all the actual difference. The carter AFB is mechanical. If you're interested, the Edlebrocks allow for easy tuning, even while the engine is running. Jets are VERY easy to change. I guess this is of limited use if you're not racing and tuning stuff.

Funny you should mention, I do have the sixpak. Wanting to go to a single 4 barrel. I've read where they are calling the AVS an "air valve secondary" as ZippyZoo said, whatever that means.

Quote from: Skdmark on February 22, 2022, 10:59:10 AM
If you are not doing a OEM resto, I highly recommend going EFI with the Holley Sniper including the fuel pump and ignition setup.
I just completed an install on a 318 last year. Really enjoyed the results.

It is an OEM resto, but even if it wasn't, I'm an old dog who likes carburetors. I hate to be called a purist, but I guess in some ways I am. I like the cars the way they are as original. I like the smells, sounds, crappy steering, brakes and suspensions. When I want to drive modern, I get in the daily driver.

Quote from: erik70rt on February 22, 2022, 11:01:23 AM
The biggest question is how are you rebuilding your engine.  Stock?  Mild performance?  Wild build? 

How much vacuum are you running?  In my experience, anything with 5lbs or less vacuum and you will not be able to run an Edelbrock or a Carter and have it perform well.
I've used Proform Carbs on my last two builds and they worked great. 

Not race, but not mild either. It will have much more than 5" of vacuum. 11.2 - 11.5 comp ratio, aluminum heads, cam up to 6500rpm (though it will never see it), air gap intake, 4 speed with 3.54 gears. Just want to make an educated intelligent decision on the carb. As I said, I'm a Holley guy and I love mechanical secondaries. Even though the sixpak is vacuum. When setup properly, a double pumper is awesome. Most people over carb their engines and then blame the poor performance on the carb.

So mainly I need to understand more about the Eddy 1411 before I can make a good decision. I do like the ease of tuning on the Eddy, but at the same time, I don't mind tuning Holleys either.
So where are all the Eddy carb gurus? There have to be some on here.  :cheers:
Kevin

RUNCHARGER

OEM resto means having the original carb restored. If you don't have it you need to find the correct one and have it restored. If it's a hot rod I would put a Holley or Quick Fuel on it.
Sheldon

340Challman

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 22, 2022, 04:23:16 PM
OEM resto means having the original carb restored. If you don't have it you need to find the correct one and have it restored. If it's a hot rod I would put a Holley or Quick Fuel on it.

Ok, you got me. When I say OEM I mean that it is period correct to what could have been on a 1970 Challenger. Not numbers matching. Original motor, long gone. Original rearend, long gone. It is an A66 Challenger with a 1970 340 motor and a correct e-body dana 60 rear. And before you beat me up about the dana, I know it is not correct on an A66 car and was not original to the car.

So I take it you are not an Edelbrock fan, or like me, you just prefer Holleys. Do you have experience with the Eddy you'd like to share?
Kevin

RUNCHARGER

Not beating you up by any means, Here is a photo of what I did to my A66 Challenger.
Everyone has different experiences and I've had good experiences with the newer Edelbrock AVS and AFB's. I just find the Holley style carbs nicer to tune and you said your previous experience was with the Holley style carbs. With a Holley you can jump up 1 or 2 jet sizes in the blink of an eye. You can also figure out what Power Valve will work in almost 2 seconds as well. With Edelbrock stuff you have to the chart and see what metering rods mixed with what jets and springs might work for you. Of course I am more than happy to run a double pumper on an automatic too.
Sheldon

340Challman

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 22, 2022, 05:09:16 PM
Not beating you up by any means, Here is a photo of what I did to my A66 Challenger.
Everyone has different experiences and I've had good experiences with the newer Edelbrock AVS and AFB's. I just find the Holley style carbs nicer to tune and you said your previous experience was with the Holley style carbs. With a Holley you can jump up 1 or 2 jet sizes in the blink of an eye. You can also figure out what Power Valve will work in almost 2 seconds as well. With Edelbrock stuff you have to the chart and see what metering rods mixed with what jets and springs might work for you. Of course I am more than happy to run a double pumper on an automatic too.

Oh...  You put an elephant in it.  :haha:  Bet she's fun.  :)

Yeah, I've had double pumpers on automatics as well. It mainly comes down to having the right carb and tuning it properly. I may try the Eddy. I figure worse case, it's just a carb. Easily replaced if I don't like it.
Kevin

Chryco Psycho

Personally I Hate eddy carbs , poor adjustability .
I trade or throw them away , never use them .