Main Menu

Edelbrock RPM aluminum heads for 360LA.. opinions

Started by Scooter, April 19, 2021, 01:24:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Lil update to the new heads. I ordered the Maxx 171 heads 04/21. Updated my order 04/26 and requested the 63cc heads, one pleasant email exchange later the order was painlessly updated and I had a new SO emailed to me. Received an email today the heads have shipped and are slotted to arrive this weekend. So it looks like they are running a few weeks ahead of their estimated 4 week ship time. Gotta say these guys so far are super responsive through email.

So now I need to expedite my roller rocker decision. As of this post I am leaning toward the Mancini Racing set here:
https://www.manciniracing.com/engrocker.html

They are 1.6 ratio and Manufactured by Harland Sharp. Seems like a decent deal for $450. The PRW stainless go for about $390.

Thoughts?

7212Mopar

1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Scooter

Quote from: 7212Mopar on May 04, 2021, 04:42:22 PM
Link description said big block Mopar?
I noted that as well.. it actually says both in description.

QuoteFits: Small Block 1.6 Ratio with Billet Holdowns

Mancini Racing Single shaft mount, rockers for Big Block Chrysler . . .

And is under their A- engine parts.  :dunno:

Scooter

^^^ Quick follow up.. the Big Block 1.6 rockers have a different part number. Spent too much time shopping on their site.. went ahead and ordered the 1.6 ratio set with the billet hold downs. Should be light duty in my lil 360 so they should last.

gzig5

I've heard a lot of good things about those Mancini rockers, so I think you'll be happy.  I was leaning that way but fell into a really good deal on the PRW's and went with them. I'm interested in how they fit as far as roller wipe and spring retainer clearance.

Scooter

Quote from: gzig5 on May 05, 2021, 06:01:09 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about those Mancini rockers, so I think you'll be happy.  I was leaning that way but fell into a really good deal on the PRW's and went with them. I'm interested in how they fit as far as roller wipe and spring retainer clearance.

^^^ That's good news. The fact they are made by Harland Shap was a pretty big factor in my decision to purchase. I added 3 day shipping to the order, hoping they arrive roughly the same time as the new heads. Will take photos and report back on fitment.

Once the heads are gone through I'll need to get them on the car so I can measure and order the new pushrods.

Chryco Psycho

Make sure you check the piston to valve clearance with the 1.6 rockers .

Scooter

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 05, 2021, 09:50:46 PM
Make sure you check the piston to valve clearance with the 1.6 rockers .

Roger that. Pretty sure the slugs are at least .100 below the deck, they are dished (.050) Silvolite's according to the build sheet the prior owner provided. Will be measuring to be sure and to get a semi accurate CR calculation. Hoping to get just a hair over 9:1 with the 63cc heads and a thinner head gasket. If the slugs are anything less then a tenth under.. getting between 9:1 to 9.5:1 should be pretty easy to manage. 

Scooter

Heads are still in transit.. on their way to Tracy today according to Fedex tracking.

Mancini Rockers are already here:

Quick follow up in the pushrod length. Since these are going into a motor with a hydraulic flat tappet cam.. do I still need to wait and measure or can I go ahead and order a set of 5/16 ball & cup puchrods at  7.375 in. length like these here:

Mancini Racing Hydraulic Pushrod Set, Chromemoly
https://www.manciniracing.com/enhypusech.html

Shane Kelley

That's the ones I run with the 273 rockers. I'm pretty sure those will work for you. But I can't say for a fact.

Scooter

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 11, 2021, 02:01:19 PM
That's the ones I run with the 273 rockers. I'm pretty sure those will work for you. But I can't say for a fact.

Thanks for the response.

The reason I'm asking the possibly dumb question is most of the Cup Tip on Top, Ball Tip on Bottom, Hydraulic pushrods I've seen are REALLY close in length... 7.330~7.375.

The mechanical pushrods seem to have a lot more variation.

Chryco Psycho

Do you know for sure the rocker shafts sit at exactly the same height as the factory heads ?
I would wait & measure to be sure .

Scooter

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 11, 2021, 08:07:47 PM
Do you know for sure the rocker shafts sit at exactly the same height as the factory heads ?
I would wait & measure to be sure .

Can't be sure.. had to order head bolts and other install items from Summit today so I ordered a pushrod length checker as well that has a range from 6.900 in. to 8.350 in., should be good.

Will need to borrow or buy a 12" caliper as the largest I have currently is 6".

Scooter

7212Mopar

Inspect and measure before install. Helicoil installed?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket