Main Menu

Edelbrock RPM aluminum heads for 360LA.. opinions

Started by Scooter, April 19, 2021, 01:24:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Not even going to unbag until my machinist buddy has time to look them over. Will report back with photos. Just happy they are actually here.

MOPAR MITCH

I'm following this thread as I'm interested to eventually get SB aluminum heads... primarily for weight savings.. and whatever additional performance they'll give.

I have questionable thoughts of the Trick Flow SB heads because their exhaust ports don't have the correct shape as the OE shape... with the small dog-legs... Eddy has them correct and now I see these PMM also has them correct.

Do you intend to have them ported?

gzig5

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on May 13, 2021, 12:41:40 PM

You didn't ask me, but I can add some info.
ProMaxx does two versions of the SBM head.  As cast 171cc runner will flow ~255cfm max.  The Shocker 185cc CNC ported version tops out at ~285cfm.  So they are a bit short of the TF numbers but they are several hundred dollars less.  I have the 171 version and will run them as-is.  I can get them upgraded to the Shocker porting and valve size for less than $1000 if I want to, according to the gentleman at PM.  But, I think I would just jump to the TF head if I was going for more.  I'm not worried about the exhaust port shape.  Haven't heard anything negative from early adopters, and it wouldn't be too hard to tweak the header flange if it made a difference.  IMO.

Scooter

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on May 13, 2021, 12:41:40 PM
I'm following this thread as I'm interested to eventually get SB aluminum heads... primarily for weight savings.. and whatever additional performance they'll give.

I have questionable thoughts of the Trick Flow SB heads because their exhaust ports don't have the correct shape as the OE shape... with the small dog-legs... Eddy has them correct and now I see these PMM also has them correct.

Plan is to have them worked over... but my machinist has been busy with life stuff lately and I would not be opposed to installing them as-is after he checks them over. If / when this 360 comes out the plan is to stroke it, likely to 408. If I do not port now it would definitely be done then.

I seriously considered the TF parts.. but they are out of stock everywhere I looked. As gzig5 mentioned, these 171cc runner 63cc  chamber heads hit a good price point and have fairly positive reviews as shipped.   

7212Mopar

I am just wondering if TTI is going to update their web page regarding the TF head compatibility with their headers. May be they have one in design for that given how popular the TF heads are. 
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

DrEamer

Quote from: 7212Mopar on May 13, 2021, 10:13:29 PM
I am just wondering if TTI is going to update their web page regarding the TF head compatibility with their headers. May be they have one in design for that given how popular the TF heads are.

TTI list the 1 7/8" race headers as compatible with the TFS, but not the 1 3/4 step version. I know of a couple people running with the smaller headers with no issues yet. I guess I am going to be a test dummy at some point as I ordered the 1 3/4" assuming they would be alright. That said, the square port is only a little bigger then header opening, and there is plenty of flange to help it seal. Here is a picture of the supplied gasket to show how much the port is cut off by the header being a little smaller for reference.

Scooter

Quote from: DrEamer on May 13, 2021, 10:38:34 PM
Quote from: 7212Mopar on May 13, 2021, 10:13:29 PM

TTI list the 1 7/8" race headers as compatible with the TFS, but not the 1 3/4 step version. I know of a couple people running with the smaller headers with no issues yet. I guess I am going to be a test dummy at some point as I ordered the 1 3/4" assuming they would be alright. That said, the square port is only a little bigger then header opening, and there is plenty of flange to help it seal. Here is a picture of the supplied gasket to show how much the port is cut off by the header being a little smaller for reference.

If I had to guess I'd say TTI just has not updated their website in a bit. I did look when I was considering the Eddy's as I'm running the TTI shorty's. They do not mention TFS, Promaxx or Speedmax under compatibility for any of their headers. And all three brands are getting fairly popular.

Chryco Psycho

Don't touch the floor of the exhaust ports , they flow much better with the high floor . FYI

7212Mopar

The metal of the TTI header flange is fairly soft. You should be able to radius/bevel the flange inlet with a Dremel tool to allow for a smoother transition from exhaust port to the header flange inlet. Just do it a little at a time. I would trim the gasket to match the exhaust ports of the head. I also spray Permatex copper to the TTI gasket before install and it seal very well.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

DrEamer

Quote from: 7212Mopar on May 14, 2021, 08:12:35 PM
The metal of the TTI header flange is fairly soft. You should be able to radius/bevel the flange inlet with a Dremel tool to allow for a smoother transition from exhaust port to the header flange inlet. Just do it a little at a time. I would trim the gasket to match the exhaust ports of the head. I also spray Permatex copper to the TTI gasket before install and it seal very well.

Thanks for the info. I also have a set of square port Remflex gaskets that I can use if I manage to mangle the TTI ones.   

Scooter

Well.. faast forward 1.5 years. Ya, picking up and moving your fam to another state will slow projects down a hair.  ::)

Anyway, the Promaxx 171 heads are in! As are the Harland Sharp 1.6 ratio rockers, Air Gap intake and new MP valve covers. 

Took her out for first test drive today... definite profit!

Video of cold start.

https://rumble.com/v1e39p9-360-la-shake-down-cold-start.html

A few photos.

:D