Main Menu

Edlebrock 750 issues..........Need suggestions on a new Carb.

Started by DAYLEY/CHALLENGER, July 11, 2017, 02:13:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Hey guys......I have been having increasing issues with a 750 Edlebrock on my 440.  Idles well, accelerates ok up to almost half throttle, then starts spitting, skipping. I am thinking of getting another carb and have priced the Street Demon and Proform in the street versions.  Most are priced about the same level.  I am also thinking of going with a 650 instead of a 750 as I do not do any hotdogging (well not much) or excess speeding. Hopefully help with gas mileage too.  Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

JS29

303 Mopar

I have Proform carbs, best bang for your buck and easy to tune.  Summit usually has them at a good price, or you can check Mancini.

ec_co

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Bullitt-

Hey David... Nice ta see you over here on the Sunny Side O the Street  :wave:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Hey Wade.  Just spreading my wings a bit!  Anyway, the EFI is not an option, so I,will check out the Quick Fuel, haven't looked at that one yet.  It's just disopointing to,go,for a drive and pull,out at a light and want to impress a bit and the skip, bang , sputter. .  Anyway looking forward to more info and I will be posting more on my Challenger  before long.   Thanks guys.

Brads70

Quickfuel and proform are great carbs, my first pick ( I have a quickfuel 850) they are both the same company's( used same castings) and recently bought out by Holley

Chryco Psycho

As I said the best bang for the $$ is the Proform , buy one & you will not regret it

Shane Kelley

As said above the Pro Form and Quick Fuel are pretty much the same. Myself I prefer the Quick Fuel. They have a few more choices in size, color with or without choke. The Pro Form is a great carb I just don't like all the purple/pink stuff on them. 750 would be ideal for the street. You didn't mention if your automatic or manual trans. I prefer Vacuum secondary for auto and mechanical for manual trans. The debates can go on forever so this is just my personal preference and opinion.
Top to bottom
Q650 Vacuum secondary on a 340 Automatic trans
Q750 Mechanical secondary on a 340 manual trans
BD850 Mechanical secondary w/electric choke on a 496 BB manual trans

Sleepychallenger

Put a pro form on mine and I love it.

Why is FI not an option?

Chryco Psycho

FI is always an option it is just cost that is prohibitive .

Sleepychallenger

After our conversation I am well aware of that cost barrier...just wasn't sure if that was the reasoning this time too.

Strawdawg

As above, QF or Proform.

I don't think Proform and QF were ever the same company.  QF was formed by some Holley engineers that left Holley about 20 years ago to build specialty parts that better served the racer than did Holley.  After a few years, they made an arrangement with Proform to buy Proform parts and assemble QF carbs using a combo of Proform and QF parts. 

They were quite successful and their innovations forced Holley to pay attention to the market.  As often happens, Holley bought QF but as far as I know, Proform is still a separate entity.  The head guy that started QF retired.  If you cannot beat them, buy 'em...I guess

If nothing else, they forced Holley to evolve and some of the more reason carbs by Holley have all the QF features/innovations at a higher price to the buyer.

I see AED has a statement on their site saying they are an authorized Holley modifier.  Not sure how long that has been the case but it seems Holley is trying to control the market once again.
Steve

Shane Kelley

That's the way I understood it also. I thought QF was only using the Pro Form main body.

DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

Thanks for all the info guys.............I have now eliminated the Edlebrock and the Street Demon...........now deciding on either the Proform or Quick Fuel.........Probably the PF. ...Now how to hook up the electric choke.......as Mine is manual now...........always something isn't............ :yes:

OH........automatic transmission........