Main Menu

edlebrock avs2 carbs

Started by chargerdon, February 26, 2020, 01:11:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Has anybody seen/read the article on the new Edlebrock AVS2 carb?   https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/enginelabs-carb-science-series-inside-edelbrocks-avs2-carburetors/   Reading this it kinda sounds like an Edlebrock written article..instead of by Enginelabs.   

I know that some on here call Edlebrock carbs "junk" yet you see the 1406 600 cfm carb on so so many classic cars at shows.. and now there is the new line ... anybody have experience with the new line of AVS2 carbs and your thoughts? 

Chryco Psycho

AVS always was a better carb which is why Chrysler mostly used AVS on the assembly line , it addresses the non adjustable rear air door on the AFB which I adjust with drill bits but the basic design still has a lot of limitations in adjustability compared to the better Holley style carbs  :alan2cents:

kawahonda

The only thing keeping me from getting an Edel AVS/2 is the finish. It just don't look right!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

chargerdon

Quote from: kawahonda on February 26, 2020, 07:35:11 PM
The only thing keeping me from getting an Edel AVS/2 is the finish. It just don't look right!

They have it in endurashine also...

js27

My 67 Satellite 318 that I just bought  has a Edlebrock 1406 on it.  It is running rich right now. This is the first for me ( Holly Man) I will have to dig into it  and see if I can lean it out. I just got my title transferred and tag and Ins yesterday so I can do some road testing this weekend.
JS27

gzig5

I put a 650 AVS2 on my 340 last spring.  Painless installation and setup.  Nearly perfect out of the box, just had to adjust the idle mixture screws a touch and I think it needs a slight air door adjustment.  Plugs look great and it doesn't stink at idle.  For the price it would be hard to find a better value for a street performance carb.  The Street Demons are supposed to be good too.

kawahonda

Quote from: chargerdon on February 27, 2020, 05:16:53 AM
Quote from: kawahonda on February 26, 2020, 07:35:11 PM

They have it in endurashine also...

Yea, but I'd rather have more a of the dull Carter finish option, whatever it's called. Everything from Edelbrock is too shiny. Others may not care as much as me though about the finish. Then you have that big red "Edelbrock" nameplate in the front--probably removable. :)

chargerdon

Quote from: js27 on February 27, 2020, 06:08:01 AM
My 67 Satellite 318 that I just bought  has a Edlebrock 1406 on it.  It is running rich right now. This is the first for me ( Holly Man) I will have to dig into it  and see if I can lean it out. I just got my title transferred and tag and Ins yesterday so I can do some road testing this weekend.
JS27

You can change the jets, or you can change the metering rods and step up springs to adjust...  they sell a kit with jets/rods/springs that fits any edlebrock carb.  Very very easy to do and can be done without removing the carb.   Metering rods and springs without even removing anything other than a single screw on each side, while still on engine...JUST DONT DROP DOWN the barrels !!

kawahonda

I wish I had a Carter expert here to help tune my rebuilt AVS. It's setup "near" perfect, other than a stupid off-idle stumble that's happening. I tried a couple different accelerator pump positions (middle and top) and it's still there. So I moved it back to the middle.

Going with a larger pump "squinter" definitely helped (.043) and improved the off-idle stumble big time. I'd hate to just start reaming it out further.

I noticed when the engine is cold it doesn't have the issue. As soon as it gets nice and warmed up, the stumble returns. The choke plate is definitely opening up correctly as it should.

I have not looked/toyed with the springs at all.

Plugs look really good. Ever-so-slightly lean, but they look really good. It's not timing related since that's re-curved/dialed in and advanced enough to where pinging isn't present.

I heard this lean spot is pretty common for the older Carter AVS. I do have a rebuilt square-bore AVS that's ready to drop on, but that's a whole new bag of worms that will probably take additional tuning. Saving that for my 408 build.