Main Menu

Engine and rear ends out of trucks? What's the difference?

Started by Shoooter, December 11, 2021, 11:01:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

Like the title says. What's the difference between a Dana 60 out of a truck compared to out of a car. I found a Dana 60 that was in a ebody so Im guessing it was cut down? Is there any other differences? The guy also has a 440 which I'm assuming was out of a truck possibly 74 and older. Would this be a non HP block.

Is there other issues like front engine accessories that could cause trouble? I'm not really interested in buying I'm more looking for information incase I stumble across stuff in the future

Thanks

Brads70

dodj

Quote from: Shoooter on December 11, 2021, 11:01:24 AM
I found a Dana 60 that was in a ebody so Im guessing it was cut down?
Ebodies came with Dana60's from the factory. Truck Danas probably had different widths and spring perch locations? Probably bigger brakes?
The 440 in my Challenger is a 76. Nothing wrong with using the 73-78 blocks imo. I think they went to '78?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Truck Dana 60's will not have a pinion snubber attachment as Brad stated. Brakes would be setup for floating axles and 8 bolt wheels most likely (I did buy an F100 Dana 60 once from a mid 60's Pickup that had 5 bolt wheels but they are rare). So most likely it's been narrowed and hopefully has Mopar style housing ends installed so you can use Mopar backing plates and brakes. Differential could be anything and most were equipped with 30 spline axles originally. Stock E-body Dana 60 has 35 spline axles and a Limited slip without clutch plates. With luck this one would have a clutch plate style Power lock which can easily have the 30 spline side gears changed to 35 spline.
So, it would be best to find out what kind of guts were used in the conversion to see if it's nicely done or not.
Truck 440's are fine and some of them have a steel crank in them which is a bonus but not a deall breaker as the cast cranks take lots of abuse.
Sheldon

YYZ

@RUNCHARGER is spot on.  To add to what he shared, it is possible to have a Dana 60 from a truck or van cut down, have Mopar axle ends and perches welded on, and then scare up a set of used axles with the right spline count or order new ones.

The truck Danas are not machined for the pinion snubber, however, a generic one can be added with a bit of work.

As for the 440, the key is to use the right 'front end' components to match the car that it's going into.  Water pump housing, pulleys, etc.  I haven't seen anyone use the big 100 amp late 70s alternator in an E-body, but there's a first time for everything.

Blocks are good, bosses for the motor mounts will accept E/B mounts etc.

440 through 1978 as a production option, and I'm sure that more were run for spares and for the motor home chassis'.

Marty

The Dana 60 in my Barracuda is from a 1976-1977 Ford F250 3/4 Ton. No Pinion Snubber. It was narrowed and fitted with the Mopar axel ends and perches. New axels with a 3:54 Traction Lock. (Ford slang.) The rear was fitted with Disc. The prior owner did a lot of work at one point in time. Way beyond my capabilities, I'm just glad it's there regardless of where it came from. The Block is from a boat that ran two 440's. Low hours. A true Frankenstein Cuda.

6bblgt

@Marty    are you sure that's a DANA 60?  that casting looks different than what I'd expect  :dunno:  there should be a "60" cast on the lower gusset facing the rear  :takealook:

& your shock plates are upside down & the shock pin should point to the rear   :wrenching:

cuda hunter

I'll add a few little things.

73/74-78/79 440's were mostly cast cranks. 

Motor home motors were (as I understand) built by chrysler marine and the 4 that I have harvested were all balanced motors.  Each one had a forged crank as well.   However, all the front end parts on the motor homes will not work on cars or trucks.  I suppose you could fit it all into a truck platform but, why?  Very different pump.   

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

You can also find industrial motors out there.  Again, several things are different on the exterior.
Every industrial I have seen has had a forged crank. 

Half of the industrials I have found recently have 8 bolt cranks and the other half have 6 bolt cranks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 8 bolt is a hemi crank..?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

YYZ

@cuda hunter - you are right, the blocks can certainly be used without issue

Some cranks can be used in car applications, others not.

The 2 things to watch out for are:

1.  No centering ring on the crank snout for the flywheel or flexplate

2.  The crank itself may be longer than a passenger car crank and if so, it won't be possible to use the normal clutches or torque converters.

Some of the heads are a bit wacky as well, but I don't know the finer points as to why they can't or shouldn't be used.