Main Menu

Engine mounts ?

Started by anlauto, June 08, 2020, 09:28:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MOPAR MITCH

I was able to buy the Poly-Locks through Mancini this past November 2019... but I've also wanted to buy the SB E-body Torque strap made by Shumacher... Mancini told me they are on back-order... and that they (Mancini will probably start making the torque straps themselves.

I did find a problem with the Poly-Locks... the locating dowel pins need to be filed down in size to fit into the k-frame hole... the height of the dowel pin hits the inner tube of the k-frame where the long bolts passes through... it was a hassel to figure this out.. repeated trial fit... .

Ultimately, for a torque strap, I've decided to re-use my old reliable chain (newly black taped)... as it connects from the front cylinder head bolt hole... down to the sway bar bracket (drilled a bolt hole and washer-shimmed the stretch of the chain with just a very slight amount of slack).

I originally chose the Poly-Lock motor mounts because I've installed a Milodon road race oil pan.. and it fits extremely tight into the k-frame.. has to cut clearance at the steering box area, but the real tight fit was at the passenger side area of the k-frame... the motor mount of the frame needed massaging to clear the oil pan... and I knew the rubber motor mounts would flex way too much under my AX/HSAX/HPDE track events.. and likely hit the k-frame on that passenger side.   I need all the stiffness possible (next choice would've been solid motor mounts (but not legal in my racing class).

anlauto

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on June 09, 2020, 11:43:55 AM
I did find a problem with the Poly-Locks... the locating dowel pins need to be filed down in size to fit into the k-frame hole... the height of the dowel pin hits the inner tube of the k-frame where the long bolts passes through... it was a hassel to figure this out.. repeated trial fit...

This is really good info at the right time. I have a set of Poly-Locks here for another customers car. I'm actually wait for the motor to arrive, but in the mean time I can certainly test fit the mounts to the K frame now ...Thanks :worship: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7212Mopar

I am running Mity mounts after trying the Magnum mounts that would not fit correct. The bolt holes were drilled different from the stock locations. The Mity mount brackets was also formed with a bigger radius so it did not sit flush with the K frame bracket. I had to insert a piece of metal shim about 1/16 or so thick to fill the gap. I am also running the road race pans and had to trim and cut the K frame motor mount bracket. Same as Mopar Mitch, most of the cutting is at the passenger side and I welded a piece of metal to block it back up. So far everything works and no issues. Part of the fun working on these cars.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Mrbill426

That mount design is pretty darn simple I don't understand why they have problems putting bolt holes in the proper location while making them.

Quote from: 7212Mopar on June 09, 2020, 12:48:53 PM
I am running Mity mounts after trying the Magnum mounts that would not fit correct. The bolt holes were drilled different from the stock locations. The Mity mount brackets was also formed with a bigger radius so it did not sit flush with the K frame bracket. I had to insert a piece of metal shim about 1/16 or so thick to fill the gap. I am also running the road race pans and had to trim and cut the K frame motor mount bracket. Same as Mopar Mitch, most of the cutting is at the passenger side and I welded a piece of metal to block it back up. So far everything works and no issues. Part of the fun working on these cars.

anlauto

ATTENTION: Alan Gallant has stupid restorers moment ...... :headbang:

Because Poly-locs are around $200 pair and Mancini's Magmounts are only $59, I figured I had to order (2) ...$118 for a pair right ? NOT !

Totally missed where it said "Magmount SET:huh:

Oh well....looks like I have an extra set of Magmounts....KiJiJi here we come  :haha: :haha: :console:

Not bad though....ordered them Monday, got them today in Canada :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mrbill426

How do they look?  Like Anchor mounts embossed w/Korea on the rubber, or not?  Older Anchors were good but quality declined over time.

Quote from: anlauto on June 12, 2020, 08:35:53 AM
ATTENTION: Alan Gallant has stupid restorers moment ...... :headbang:

Because Poly-locs are around $200 pair and Mancini's Magmounts are only $59, I figured I had to order (2) ...$118 for a pair right ? NOT !

Totally missed where it said "Magmount SET:huh:

Oh well....looks like I have an extra set of Magmounts....KiJiJi here we come  :haha: :haha: :console:

Not bad though....ordered them Monday, got them today in Canada :worship:

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 12, 2020, 09:09:32 AM
How do they look?  Like Anchor mounts embossed w/Korea on the rubber, or not?  Older Anchors were good but quality declined over time.

I can't find any writing on them, however they look very reminiscent of the Anchor ones available with a really thin nut welded on pretty shoddy, etc...

Mrbill426

But they have a through-bolt to hold them together if the bond fails?

Quote from: anlauto on June 12, 2020, 09:38:25 AM
Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 12, 2020, 09:09:32 AM

I can't find any writing on them, however they look very reminiscent of the Anchor ones available with a really thin nut welded on pretty shoddy, etc...

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 12, 2020, 09:46:43 AM
Yes, that's the idea :fingerscrossed:

Mrbill426

Might have to try those.  I have a "set"  :D  of new in box Anchor 2250s I bought a few years ago and they look ok but...

Quote from: anlauto on June 12, 2020, 10:06:37 AM
Quote from: Mrbill426 on June 12, 2020, 09:46:43 AM
Yes, that's the idea :fingerscrossed: