Main Menu

engine paint

Started by pink aar, July 07, 2017, 01:24:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

This has been talked about  MILLION TIMES. I'll tell you what happen to me today. I went Summit racing today to buy a can of Chrysler Hemi Orange Dupli-color #De1652 engine paint so PPG can match it. DO NOT BUY this paint. It has METALLIC in it. While at PPG which some people are smarter than others at the store. He has a engine paint book  and hemi orange 68-71 paint code is 3116. It can be mixed is several different types. I bought a single stage.
So has anyone painted a engine with this paint code???

Know nothing, but willing to learn

I hope this helps someone out.

Cuda Cody

I've not sprayed it, but am curious to hear how it goes for you?  If you are doing a 340 AAR and plan to paint the rubber by pass hose, make sure to use a flexible primer or epoxy.

pink aar

I will spay the whole engine with epoxy first. The only way to go.

What are most people going for semi gloss??  I'm using concept 9700 with flattener.

Cuda Cody

Most epoxies will dry to hard and crack off the by pass hose.  If you use an epoxy like PPG DP and use the 401 hardener it will be more flexible then the 402 hardener that most people use.  But you have to mix the 401 and wait 30 minutes before you prime it.  That's the 30 minute induction time, but it's worth it.