Main Menu

Exhaust header bolt question.

Started by LinceCuda, May 16, 2018, 01:37:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

LinceCuda

My 71 340 engine has a pair of 74 360 modified J heads. The issue I have is I purchased a pair of stainless steel headers that came with 5/16" x 1" bolts. The bolts are to large diameter wise to fit the mounting holes on my heads, 1/4" is the correct diameter. I can't find anyone who sells that size header bolt, ant of y'all have a contact I can purchase these from. I've posted pics of the bolt and another bolt I cleaned the end up on just to check it fit and I wasn't going  :looney:

Chryco Psycho

I have not ever seen a small block head with 1/4 exhuast bolt holes , they should be 5/16"
were the heads repaired , altered ?

LinceCuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 16, 2018, 01:42:15 PM
I have not ever seen a small block head with 1/4 exhuast bolt holes , they should be 5/16"
were the heads repaired , altered ?

The heads were ported and the larger 2.02 valves installed other than that nothing that i could see. Well that being said I guess I can take a closer look and see if they were helicoiled. I'll go look and take a pic.

LinceCuda

Psycho looks like they've been coiled, you agree? Here's some pics.

Strawdawg

looks like someone did not want to drill out the holes to fit the correctly sized bolt when they coiled the holes
Steve

Chryco Psycho

:iagree: looks like they installed inserts & went a size smaller , 2 problems 1 it will be tough to achieve the required torque with a 1/4 bolt as it may break & no small head  header bolt type fasteners available for that . Not good

LinceCuda

Well I got to looking at the bolt I cleaned up and used to test fit into the heads because it just didn't look small enough to be 1/4". So I searched and found my bolt sizer and the test bolt was indeed 5/16. So long story short the company sent 3/8 bolts instead of 5/16 that would have been correct for mounting my headers. The other good news is that the heli-coils installed were done correctly and my headers pulled up nice and tight. The company did offer to send me a $15.00 refund check to cover the cost of bolts I bought and I accepted. So I feel alot better knowing I don't have to drill out the mounting holes but also a little foolish that I didn't pay more attention to what I was looking at bolt wise. :pullinghair:

RUNCHARGER

There you go. Common misteak with SBD.
Sheldon