Main Menu

Fighting to get into gears.. 4 speed A833 pistol grip

Started by FSHTAIL, May 10, 2018, 09:46:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

It's been a really notchy shifting trans..  A833 I believe..   
Sometimes I have to really fight it to get it into 1st..      Sometimes it just goes in effortlessly..   

Is there any sort of technique to get this to behave a little better?
I'm looking to do a drain/fill just so I know it's been done..   
Is there a go to lubricant for these?   Capacities?   Anyone think much about Pennzoil Synchromesh?   

This is my first 4 speed manual..   
Thanks

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

RUNCHARGER

First thing to check is the clutch adjustment, then the gearshift adjustment. Leave it in second until stopped then it will slide right into first. I don't use synthetic in them just normal gear lube.
Sheldon

303 Mopar

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 10, 2018, 10:31:11 PM
First thing to check is the clutch adjustment, then the gearshift adjustment. Leave it in second until stopped then it will slide right into first. I don't use synthetic in them just normal gear lube.

:iagree: Normal gear lube.  I've found that to gear down to 2nd, I need to be going less than 20 mph and 1st is almost at a dead stop.

RUNCHARGER

The synchros are getting worn, you can run it a long time if you crutch it a bit.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Don't need syncros if you can match rpm or double clutch  :twothumbsup:

dodj

ATF4 is better than using gear lube in my opinion. Shifting manners will be improved.
Do check your shifter adjustment and clutch adjustment though.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

82firebird

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on May 10, 2018, 09:46:15 PM
Sometimes I have to really fight it to get it into 1st..      Sometimes it just goes in effortlessly..   

Is there a go to lubricant for these?   Capacities?   Anyone think much about Pennzoil Synchromesh?   

This is my first 4 speed manual..   
Thanks

At what speed do you struggle with going into 1st? When I first bought my car with a 4 speed I would always grind going into 1st at anything more than a crawl. I am used to my Tremec which I can throw into 1st easily at speed. I changed the fluid, swapped for ATF, etc.. results were always the same. Overtime I have just learned how to drive that particular transmission and have been very happy with it. I still have not found the answer if you should be able to go into 1 at “speed” (say 10mph) but I guess I will truly never know until this one is rebuilt which will be no time soon. My technique when coming to a stop is as follows, use the brakes, neutral, stop. :)

Don’t be afraid to adjust your shift linkage as well. Once you understand what the adjustment does you will be able to get to know the way it performs much better.

303 Mopar

Quote from: dodj on May 11, 2018, 08:56:00 PM
ATF4 is better than using gear lube in my opinion. Shifting manners will be improved.
Do check your shifter adjustment and clutch adjustment though.

ATF4 is the gear lube I was referring to since GL-4 is what was recommended by Dan Brewer and others for my 833.  I was told to not use synthetic, like red line, because it eats up the syncros or something.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: 82firebird on May 12, 2018, 03:33:20 AM
Quote from: Chris Pauluk on May 10, 2018, 09:46:15 PM

This is my first 4 speed manual..   5gal
Thanks

At what speed do you struggle with going into 1st? When I first bought my car with a 4 speed I would always grind going into 1st at anything more than a crawl. I am used to my Tremec which I can throw into 1st easily at speed. I changed the fluid, swapped for ATF, etc.. results were always the same. Overtime I have just learned how to drive that particular transmission and have been very happy with it. I still have not found the answer if you should be able to go into 1 at "speed" (say 10mph) but I guess I will truly never know until this one is rebuilt which will be no time soon. My technique when coming to a stop is as follows, use the brakes, neutral, stop. :)

Don't be afraid to adjust your shift linkage as well. Once you understand what the adjustment does you will be able to get to know the way it performs much better.

0mph...   it's hit of miss..    sometimes it goes right in, sometimes it fights me. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

RUNCHARGER

Make sure it is adjusted correctly and that the rods or tabs are not worn out. The holes in the shifter tabs wear, the ends on the rods wear as well. Also make sure the nuts that hold tabs on are tight. I imagine they are tight though because if they aren't shifting problems get severe pretty quick. Taking apart the shifter and cleaning and lubing everything is part of regular maintenance as well.
You really don't have to fight them if everything is in reasonable shape. If the transmission isn't noisy and doesn't pop out of gear when slowing down, chances are good you can finesse it into shifting nice.
Sheldon