Main Menu

Fixed Water Pump Leak Now Have Another With Pics

Started by Daveh, September 17, 2020, 06:18:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Ok so many of you know that I fixed the water pump gasket issue so after filling it I have another leak.  It's seeping out between the block and timing cover.  Now what?  Look at the pics and let me know what you think.  Thanks

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

You know what they say... when it stops leaking, it's out of fluid.  :Thud:

Honestly, leaks are one of the main reasons I put my engines on runs stands.  A couple hot and cold run cycles normally reveals all the leaks so they can be fixed before painting the car.  But now that your engine is painted and in the car I only see 2 options.  The can of Leak Stop or take it apart again to reseal and replace the gasket. 

Daveh

I'm not a fan of the band aid approach unless that's my last resort.  So I guess I will take it all the way down and remove the timing cover and replace that gasket also.  So I'll get a complete front seal kit.

My question is will the timing cover seal to the oil pan gasket seal back correctly or do I have to replace that as well? 

Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks

Dave

Burdar

:verymad: How many wrenches have you thrown across the garage so far?  :verymad:

Daveh

Chryco Psycho

The new timing cover kit included a strip across the front of the oil pan , generally it does not survive when you remove the cover .
Do it right , don't do the stop leak .
Maybe in a few years you will laugh about it ... or not .

chargerdon

Although the kit includes a small piece of pan gasket to replace the piece that breaks off, i found that difficult to get into place and seal.    So, instead for that small section of pan gasket, i just put "The Right Stuff" in there instead.    IT FLAT OUT WORKS....   Expensive...but it works and is much easier to put the timing cover on with that.    A little messy but that's what rags with some kerosene on it is for.     

I also put in addition to the timing cover gasket, a thin bead of The Right Stuff all over both sides as well.   No leaks !!

PS...With the engine in the car and radiator in, i found it a little difficult to get the Timing Chain Cover and the Water pump lined up perfectly to get all of the bolts to start.   So, what i did was took a couple of old bolts and cut the heads off, then ground a slit across the end for a screw driver, making if you will Dowel pins that are removable.   

Then put those "dowel pins in first" and slid the timing cover over it then put in all of the bolts including the water pump bolts to insure that it was lined up correctly, AND including the two bolts that go up thru the pan into the bottom of the cover.     Then once in place used the screwdriver to remove my "dowel pin bolts" and put in the real ones.   

Daveh