Main Menu

FSHTAIL: Tremec TKX 5 speed manual transmission E body kit

Started by FSHTAIL, September 11, 2021, 01:14:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: Fern on September 13, 2021, 11:43:36 AM
Quote from: anlauto on September 13, 2021, 11:23:19 AM
Chris, this thread inspired me to order the new TKX set-up for my own resto-mod Cuda convertible I'm building, Jeff at SST said I have about a 90 day wait...which is okay for me....Order my 392 crate motor today as well :banana:

If you dont mind, where did you order the crate motor from?
@Fern I just went to my local dealer, I have an account there...They will give me a shout when it's in, later this week, and they will take it off one truck and drop it in mine, carefully that is :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Ebody Edgar

This trans and its predecessors are advertised as a direct fit kit. that means the parts bolt in to the car exactly as the stock parts  and NO modifications are necessary. Direct fit means the tail shaft is located exactly where the orig tail shaft was so the pinion angles are correct and not UNUSUAL as pointed out by Hot Rod Magazine.  So far the  vendors of this trans has not proved it fits like it is supposed to and shown there not a compromise on driveline integrity. Pinion angles are very important to proper operation at high speed. 

The only 5 speed so far to achieve this goal is the Passon 5 speed.

xx88man

I am interested to see how this turns out. To me it's worth it if you have to adjust the pinion angle MY OPINION  :alan2cents:
Keep yer foot in it

Mopsquad

The biggest concern for me would be modifying the transmission tunnel.  That's what kept me from the previous SST kits - The "possible" need to cut into nicely painted tunnel and the labour needed to do that. 

I started to consider Gear Vendors as an option.  Passion would have been #1 if they were available.  Now this new SST kit is attractive as along as it lives up to it selling point - no transmission tunnel mods and a direct fit/replacement.

Like the rest of you, watching and taking notes.

ledphoot

That TKX looks quite a bit different than the TKO's I have done. The Cuda and Challenger both had their floors cut / patched for the TKO to go in to place with the proper engine / tail shaft angle, there is .75" of spacer placed under my TKO to get the tail shaft in the correct position, which caused contact with the floor. :( I wish they had built them like this years ago, I did not like cutting the floor in my car.

Don't forget to check the runout on that bellhousing before you stab the transmission in. <.010 total indicated runout (< .005 max) is the target.

Side note, not trying to hijack, but if anybody wants to do this I have an SFI Rated QuickTime bellhousing for TKO to small block new in the box I am not going to use. They're a bit of work to get lined up / correct, it's beyond my skill level. I will give somebody a good price on it.

I am dying to see how this TKX fits, please post pics as you get the work done :)

jbaha

Hey! enjoy your swap! Mine changed absolutly the way i like my chally! (well i went from a 3 speed auto haha)

If you have any question... I know it's not the same trans, but same process! At least you took the engine off, which should be easier !

Good luck

HP2

Quote from: Ebody Edgar on October 03, 2021, 03:29:55 AM
This trans and its predecessors are advertised as a direct fit kit. that means the parts bolt in to the car exactly as the stock parts  and NO modifications are necessary. Direct fit means the tail shaft is located exactly where the orig tail shaft was so the pinion angles are correct and not UNUSUAL as pointed out by Hot Rod Magazine.  So far the  vendors of this trans has not proved it fits like it is supposed to and shown there not a compromise on driveline integrity. Pinion angles are very important to proper operation at high speed. 

True, and for some of us, this is an absolute imperative. For others of us, we change so many thing that a simply driveline angle adjustment is just another piece of the puzzle.  Personally, I'd rather shim driveline components than cut up the trans tunnel or wait 8 years to receive a transmission.

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: HP2 on October 12, 2021, 06:10:40 AM

True, and for some of us, this is an absolute imperative. For others of us, we change so many thing that a simply driveline angle adjustment is just another piece of the puzzle.  Personally, I'd rather shim driveline components than cut up the trans tunnel or wait 8 years to receive a transmission.

Exactly.   You don't like it? Then don't buy it.  I don't see the need to be so negative about a product because it doesn't fit 100% like stock.  Are aluminum heads that have spark plugs at a different angle than stock iron heads also junk?  or disc brakes that require you to modify your proportioning valve junk?  Hydroboost power steering kits must also be junk too then...

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: ledphoot on October 06, 2021, 09:30:49 AM

Side note, not trying to hijack, but if anybody wants to do this I have an SFI Rated QuickTime bellhousing for TKO to small block new in the box I am not going to use. They're a bit of work to get lined up / correct, it's beyond my skill level. I will give somebody a good price on it.

You're about to get a message...

ledphoot

It is certainly easier to build / restore these cars using stock components. The minute you get in to hot rodding these old cars you will run in to challenges. My car is so far from stock at this point that I run in to stacked tolerance issues with fitment of pretty much everything. NOTHING is bolt in... With the suspension modifications and decked / squared block with aluminum heads I did the TTI headers didn't fit and had to be modified by a fabricator as did my Milodon oil pan. Was it a pain? Yes, was I frustrated? Absolutely... Was the Tremec install "bolt in"??? Nope... I had to cut the floor in order to get the angle right, my engine, transmission and pinion angles are all absolutely correct. Do I regret it? Not really.. My car isn't stock, it never will be again, it is now MY creation. It will outperform ANY e-body that rolled off the production line in every way imaginable, all while looking reasonably stock to the average person.

BluRaySRT

Can you provide more details regarding cutting the floor?  Was this because of the other non-standard modifications you have made?   Would a non-modified car be likely to have this problem?  Any pics?  Thanks in advance for your time.

FSHTAIL

Quote from: BluRaySRT on October 28, 2021, 02:04:31 PM
Can you provide more details regarding cutting the floor?  Was this because of the other non-standard modifications you have made?   Would a non-modified car be likely to have this problem?  Any pics?  Thanks in advance for your time.
This did not require any cutting of my factory 4 speed cars floor.. 

I've been meaning to follow up with the installed pictures, I'll do it soon, there was a few things that needed to be modified, but that's because my car isn't stock in regards of the master cyl and the hydraulic conversion firewall brace as a part of the kit.   
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Fern

Just wondering if anyone who put one of these TKX units has some feedback?

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Fern on June 18, 2022, 11:07:37 AM
Just wondering if anyone who put one of these TKX units has some feedback?
Measuring for run out was a pain in the ass, mine required offset dowel pins.     This is something I've never done before, I had to buy a magnetic gauge for this from harbor freight to get it done, but I got it done.   

The stiffening frame brace needed to be cut down a little bit, but not too big of a deal. 
I have the doctor diff brick master cylinder adapter, that required me to drill an extra hole for the slave cylinder reservoir, that wasn't too big of a deal. 
Their tech support left a little bit to be desired for, they didn't really understand what I was talking about when I was asking them some questions, everybody has their brain fart days I suppose
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)