Main Menu

Fuel filter ?

Started by 73chalngr, May 15, 2020, 11:43:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73chalngr

I have a clear fuel filter and every so often I see air bubbles in the filter, is the normal?

Mrbill426

I have seen fuel systems "suck" in air without any signs of leaks.  Also have heard those glass filters can be the culprit.

WCC

Those glass filters scare me. Get one of these.  :bigthumb:

Brads70

:iagree:  Please get rid of that one! I've had one rattle loose and spray fuel all over.
I used to be a tech inspector at my local race track. You would never make onto the track with one of those on it. Metal ones are best!

JS29

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 15, 2020, 12:06:21 PM
I have seen fuel systems "suck" in air without any signs of leaks.  Also have heard those glass filters can be the culprit.
:iagree:

73chalngr

I use it because I believe I am having a vapor lock problem, and I can see the fuel. My car does not overheat but I have had it shut off on me then a half an hour later start right up . I found a clear plastic one that looks like your picture. Any ideas ?  Can coil overheat ? Go bad it is probably 50 years old ?

JS29

YES!!! I have seen coils, pickup coils and control box's do what you are describing. What have you got for an ignition system?  :popcorn:

73chalngr

I have a small block(340) with electronic ignition chrome (Mopar Performance) Ecu stock coil and blue (MP) wires  .

73chalngr

Thinking of getting a blaster two msd coil any thoughts on that would be appreciated .

Scooter

Quote from: 73chalngr on May 16, 2020, 07:15:28 AM
Thinking of getting a blaster two msd coil any thoughts on that would be appreciated .

Have a Blaster 2 on my Ford for 5-6 years now, no issues and works well with the 6AL box. I replaced the stock coil on my 360 Challenger with a Pertronix Black Coil, Part # HRR688C. Perked the motor up quite a bit.

:alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

I prefer the Pertronics coil & you can mount it horizontal which you cannot do with the blaster unless you buy the Vibration blaster . :alan2cents:

MoparLeo

Do a tune up !! 50 year old parts and a Chrome/racing box ? why? Just doing a stock update of the ignition system will do wonders. The stock system has worked for how long with little/no maintenance ? Give your car some love. oil change etc.. That glass filter is a safety hazard. metal or plastic are much safer. If you are concerned with vapor-lock it is easy to diagnose. Vapor lock is simply an air pocket/void in the liquid supply of fuel. Checking all lines/ connections. Replace all rubber lines if more than 2 years old. Isolate fuel lines from heat sources like headers, exhaust pipes, mufflers. And/or go with an electric fuel pump mounted in the rear next to the fuel tank. Mount it low and wire it through the oil pressure switch to have it kill power to pump when engine dies/oil pressure drops a lot. Vapor lock can't happen when the fuel is being pushed down the fuel line. Not being sucked up the line like a front mounted fuel pump does.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...