Main Menu

Fuel Line Issue

Started by mopar thunder, April 21, 2019, 03:09:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

Well one issue to another. I went to change out the fuel filter. My wife decided she wanted a clearview style so she went down to the local speed shop and bought one. The car came with a holley 4150 - 670 CFM with a dual feed with a cone end. Also on the dual feed was a screw in flared pipe nipple to match. This doesn't make sense to me but it never leaked since she has owned the car. I took it off, put on new hose from the pump made 2 cuts for the filter and now the fitting leaks and I can't figure out why..... I have tried everything I can think of except buying a new dual feed with a fixed hose nipple. It's driving me crazy. I was going to take the car back to the transmission guy to fix it but have to figure this one out now.   :verymad: I know not the best set up but ..... there are some future plans so we are just going with easy till we get to the next step.

Brads70

My advice would be to get rid of that ASAP. IMO they should be illegal. They rattle loose , leak and spray fuel all over a hot engine.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get rid of that "filter"

FM3AAR

Quote from: Brads70 on April 21, 2019, 03:31:15 PM
My advice would be to get rid of that ASAP. IMO they should be illegal. They rattle loose , leak and spray fuel all over a hot engine.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE get rid of that "filter"

+1

GrandpaKevin

X2
Having a glass gas filter in the engine bay is an engine fire waiting to happen. :stop:

Chryco Psycho

I agree with the filter , lose it !
The fitting in the fuel line can be used for a small pressure gauge which is far better than the clear filter anyway , use a little teflon on the thread to seal either the plug or gauge .

mopar thunder

I got the message about the clear filter. I will pass that on and work on getting a stock one. Hopefully the tape will work although I did try it. It seems to come out from around the flared fuel line inside the threads. I would prefer to just get another dual feed line w/o that type of fitting and just a nipple end. Thanks for the advice.

70 Challenger Lover

What I use now is steel all the way to the carb with no rubber up on top. I don't mind a small section of rubber hose to connect the fuel pump to the steel line running up top but if that ever leaked, it's so low that fuel would just go down to the ground instead of onto the engine.

You can get a Y type of brass fuel block to allow splitting into the front and rear bowls and it works really nice. Comes out clean looking too.

mopar thunder

I can't seem to seal the dual fuel inlet on the holley or at the fuel hose junction. This is so stupid. I curse the time I took it off. It never leaked before now all of the sudden it does.  :pullinghair:

70 Challenger Lover

The connections at the carb Are not prone to leaking. The adaptor that screws into the bowls uses a metal washer. It can get dislodged if you aren't careful and not seal right. If it is tightened down when the washer is out of place, it will get ruined (the washer).

The fuel line screws into the adaptor and it is a compression fitting. No tape or sealant needed. As long as it isn't cross threaded and tightened enough, it should not leak ever.

When you loosen the line at the adaptor, it's hard to break it free without also unscrewing the adaptor from the fuel bowl. This can happen even if you hold the adaptor with a large wrench. When I tighten it all up though, I've noticed you can usually tighten the fitting at the adaptor and the twisting pressure also tightens the adaptor into the bowl.

My guess is the large ring between the adaptor and the fuel bowls got out of position a little bit and damaged during tightening. They are cheap at Napa.

Rich G.

Holley carbs can be a bit of a pain to seal. The duel feed line has flared ends and use no sealer. Only a tapered fitting like pipe threads use sealer. You have to make sure the fitting on the carb is tight before you put the line on otherwise it's guaranteed to to leak.

Chryco Psycho

for all the aggrivation it might be worth just replacing the feed line , you can use teflon where the nipple threads into the fuel line
but never at the carb , as above it is a flare fitting & should seal , there should be a thin metal gasket between the fitting & the carb bowl , if that gets bent it can leak between the fitting a carb bowl even of the line is tight 

mopar thunder

It's really crazy. The adaptor at the back bowl inlet hasn't loosened, the front one did when I unscrewed the feed line.  But the front one doesn't leak the back one does as does the fitting at the rubber line. The dual feed line has flared ends at the adaptor bowl inlets. Upfront, It appears it is leaking between the threaded adaptor part and the flared pipe line so that tells me it isn't setting right when it screws in. Again, never did before. It is just so frustrating to try to complete something as simple as changing out the fuel filter can turn into this. I have only had this happen once or twice before. Thanks for all the advice.

Chryco Psycho

loosen the 5/8 nut on the line , there should be a thin metal gasket between the fitting & the bowl , make sure it is flat & the fitting is tight before tightening the 5/8 nut , the front line fitting should be pipe , you can use the yellow teflon fuel tape on that fitting . Take it all aprt , check everything , make sure everything is clean & reassemble it , pain in the butt , but it should fix the leaks . :wrenching:

mopar thunder

Thanks, I think i got it fixed  :fingerscrossed:  We took it out for a ride yesterday and I checked it when I got back and nothing was leaking or moist. I'll check it again after a few more runs. Crazy how just changing the fuel filter lead to all of that. I don't think her car likes me... I can work on my Charger or Cuda (well when it is running)and have little problems... that one though causes me heartburn almost every time.

Chryco Psycho

some cars seem to be like that , always fighting you . Glad to seem to have it solved at least  :bigthumb: