Main Menu

Head help

Started by Arctoad, January 05, 2019, 03:40:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Arctoad

Good morning everyone,
Took a few pictures of my heads last night knowing that they were not the original T/A's. I don't have too much experience with older Mopar set ups.
Thanks,
Toad

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
Can't read the casting # but looks like std heads with 273 rockers

RUNCHARGER

Almost looks like 587 but I don't think so. Probably 360 heads anyway.
Sheldon

Arctoad

Have many opertunities for sale of original T/A heads?
I guess the likelihood seeing there were no reproductions made by Chrysler is Nil...

Cuda Cody

I think I have a set of T/A heads, but it's the shipping that makes it hard to sale them.

Arctoad

I guess the next challenge is the condition right?
Toad

Chryco Psycho

The correct heads are not as rare as you would expect them to be , no real performance gains with them in stock form but it is nice to have the correct parts

Arctoad

Ok so here's my story..
Before I dove into the Mopar world I owned a 67' fastback mustang.. worlds apart. Totally different car, I mean sooo mainstream but awesome time capsule I mean 1 paint job nothing changed on the vehicle.
This car the T/A is something out of ledgends.. i'm A little intimidated I have to admit, each time I start it and go over it, I'm still blown away with it..
That said there's still a few things that I have to address to restore it it "Survivor" quality and  I really don't think I'll get it there without the original Motor at least.. and you know the saying. It's only original once! That's kind of why I'm going to try to keep all of the original parts and try my best to restor them as well find the stuff that's missing.
Do you think that's the right thing to do? I mean it 1 of 989 T/A' s in exsistance. Not the rarest.. but up there in production low numbers..
Any ideas would be greatly honoured.
Toad

70 Challenger Lover

Each spring and each fall, there is a major Mopar show in Southern California. Lots of people all over the US come out, some as far as Canada. They have a massive swap area to pick up the items you need. Some new stuff from vendors but most is used swap meet stuff. You will find your heads there and you can drive them home. It's a multi day event and lots of fun.

You have the right idea. Try to keep it mostly original and over time, replace things that bother you like these heads. You have an awesome car, enjoy it! Once you start a big restoration, you won't be driving it for years.

Arctoad

It would be so cool to plan something like that. My wife is up for making a get away even if it's car related!
I guess that's why i'm so into Car collecting, I get to connect with really awesome people like you guys and feel like a kid at Christmas at the Same time. For me it's a balance between the love of the Vehicles and chase of the Holley Grail.
Getting closer!
Toad

70 Challenger Lover

Hope you make it. April is the best show by far. They have days of activities leading up to the show. I think the website is Chrysler Performance West

70 Challenger Lover

Arctoad

Chryco Psycho

I would be doing what you are doing & chasing the original parts as they become available & detail what you have , for example he intakes were painted orange on T/A engines

Arctoad

Right now were all intakes on 340 T/A's painted?