Main Menu

Heater core help

Started by Matt13, March 23, 2020, 02:59:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Matt13

So, my 1973 Barracuda came with no hoses on the heater core and a bypass hose rerouting the flow. I've got to assume the core is bad. Is this a difficult job? Any tips?

anlauto

Tip #1 Plan to remove the entire heater box and replace core on the bench.
Tip #2 Get a new core, don't try and mess around patching your old one
Tip #3 Get a new rebuild gasket kit from DMT while you're at it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Tip#4, check heater motor before taking out so you can pre-order a switch or motor before hand if needed.  :D
Sheldon

JS29

And don't forget there is a hook on the right side near the dash.  :alan2cents:

Matt13

Awesome. Thanks guys. Luckily the blower motor works, so hopefully it's just the core.

Skid Row

The "foam" seals in all the doors, inside the heater box If original; Have turned to dust.. 

Matt13

Quote from: Skid Row on March 23, 2020, 04:30:33 PM
The "foam" seals in all the doors, inside the heater box If original; Have turned to dust..
Have they been remanufactured?

Mr Lee

Yes, there's a kit you can buy. Heater box rebuild kit.  Try Roseville moparts.
Also, as far as heater cores go, I would recommend staying away from the aluminum ones.  They dont fit well.  I wound up returning mine and ordering one from rockauto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Matt13

Ok, thanks. Year One also has cores. Wondering if I should try theirs since I'll probably be ordering some other stuff from them.

Dakota

Tip #5:   Take LOTS of pictures, especially of the vacuum hoses including how they're routed around the box and where thy are connected.  Note where there is a stripe on the hose and the color of the stripe. 

anlauto

There's only vacuum hoses if the car has air conditioning  :alan2cents: otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

YearOne is sometimes a good one stop shop, but they don't always sell the best quality parts at the best prices. Reach out to Roseville Moparts for the best around service and mention you're a member here for a discount :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Matt13

Quote from: anlauto on March 24, 2020, 04:56:48 AM
There's only vacuum hoses if the car has air conditioning  :alan2cents: otherwise it's pretty straight forward.

YearOne is sometimes a good one stop shop, but they don't always sell the best quality parts at the best prices. Reach out to Roseville Moparts for the best around service and mention you're a member here for a discount :twothumbsup:
Excellent, will do.

Racer57

I don't mean for this to sound like a sales pitch, just giving good advice....  No matter what part you need, contact Roseville first before going somewhere else. You don't have to worry about fit or quality. You talk to people that know wtf their doing, not some flunky hired to answer the phone.

7E-Bodies

:iagree: Totally. @Mopar Dave supports our site and has never failed me on two different E bodies
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green