Main Menu

HELP! No start

Started by usraptor, September 16, 2017, 09:48:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

You need 13 v to the Ballast resister  & to the Blue wire into the ECU .
You should have 13 v to the coil while cranking through the brown wire & 7v to the coil in run position ,
you should have zero ohms through the 2 leads across the dist wires / pick up
when you unplug the dist with the key on you should have a spark out of the coil
you can also ground the negative side of the coil with the key on & break the ground & the coil should create a spark
If the rotor gap is still good it is likely the ECU 
did you leave out the rotor ??

usraptor

Thanks Chryco, I'm definitely going to save this info for future reference.  No I didn't forget the rotor as the engine ran yesterday and I didn't touch the dist. between last night and this AM.   Turned it off yesterday and today it wouldn't start; no spark.  Anyway, after playing with wires, plugging and unplugging fittings, etc. it decided to start and now re starts with no issues.    :dunno:  Not sure what the issue was, but will keep you info if it decides to do it again. 

dodj

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 16, 2017, 07:20:38 PM
I've had ECU's warn me like that before they leave me stranded, MP Orange boxes. FWIW.
I have heard the newer ones are better quality and don't fail as often, but whenever I see an orange box in a car I'm thinking 'Hmmmmm, that is gonna cause problems'.

Quote from: usraptor on September 16, 2017, 01:36:49 PM
I'm not aware of anything like that on mine.  If you get a chance can you take a picture and post it please. 
I eliminated it on my car so I did a little googling to find a pic and found out that the connector I was referring to only came on '73 and '74 ebodies. 
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

usraptor

Quote from: dodj on September 17, 2017, 04:15:16 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on September 16, 2017, 07:20:38 PM
I've had ECU's warn me like that before they leave me stranded, MP Orange boxes. FWIW.
I have heard the newer ones are better quality and don't fail as often, but whenever I see an orange box in a car I'm thinking 'Hmmmmm, that is gonna cause problems'.

Quote from: usraptor on September 16, 2017, 01:36:49 PM
I'm not aware of anything like that on mine.  If you get a chance can you take a picture and post it please. 
I eliminated it on my car so I did a little googling to find a pic and found out that the connector I was referring to only came on '73 and '74 ebodies.

Thanks doji

Roadman

Quote from: dodj on September 16, 2017, 12:37:43 PM
Orange boxes are infamous for failure, but ensure it has a good ground. It can't fire the coil if it is not grounded well.  How about the connector on the pass side valve cover. All connections good?

That connector is on the new engine harness on @ToxicWolf  Challenger.  Hemi, has alt wires, coil wires, temp and distributor wires.  :rebelflag"

340challconvert

Quote from: dodj on September 16, 2017, 12:37:43 PM
Orange boxes are infamous for failure, but ensure it has a good ground. It can't fire the coil if it is not grounded well.  How about the connector on the pass side valve cover. All connections good?
Concur with Roadman
Orange boxes have a reputation for failing. Heard that from others who used them.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Chryco Psycho

Older orange boxes were fine , but the newer ones not so much

cudabob496

my orange box failed due to being too close to headers
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha. Yes Orange boxes fail if there is a cloud in the sky, or not.
Sheldon