Main Menu

RN12YC Champion Spark Plug Gap?

Started by nsmall, March 10, 2017, 10:56:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

RN12YC Champion Spark Plug Gap?

Any idea of the proper gap on these plugs?  I have 340.

THANKS!!!

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

nsmall

HP_Cuda

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Roadman

I agree on .035.  However if your using aftermarket ignition, like MSD, etc. you should follow their instructions. And if your motor is running higher compression that stock it can be a consideration.    :alan2cents:

Brads70

Funny that's the same plug used in Briggs snowblower and lawn tractor engines. I keep them in stock on my work van. I've always used NGK? Good to know I could use these if I wanted.

jimynick

If you've got an aftermarket CD type ignition, you could open it to .040" and get a wee bit bigger spark kernel. GM HEI's ran up to .060" if I recall right.   :thinking:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Roadman

Quote from: jimynick on March 10, 2017, 02:50:04 PM
If you've got an aftermarket CD type ignition, you could open it to .040" and get a wee bit bigger spark kernel. GM HEI's ran up to .060" if I recall right.   :thinking:

:iagree:    Several variables have to be taken into consideration. 

Chryco Psycho

With a high output coil I will set at .040 wider just gets hard on the ign wires

nsmall

@Brads70  ol Chryco Psycho gave me the lead on these Brad.  I have stock Mopar ignition and fairly stock compression so I will use the .035 gap.  Thanks