Main Menu

Help with 1-2 hesitation after Sniper install

Started by 70pumpkin, May 16, 2024, 09:52:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70pumpkin

I'm running a Sniper on a 318 904 tranny, 8-3/4 and have noticed a few issues.  I know I have to RTFM but wanted to get some general insights first.  Any help/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Before the Sniper, the shifts from 1-to-2 were solid.  Since installing the Sniper, there's a pretty significant bog/hesitation before kicking into 2nd - probably happens around 10-15mph.  It's very frustrating!
  • HOWEVER, when in slapstik mode, there is no hesitation.  1st is strong up to the point when I shift into 2nd which is very solid.
  • On the Sniper dashboard, I notice that the A/F will dip down into yellow/red when revving the engine which causes the engine to bog down a bit.  The Sniper recovers and gets it back to where it needs to be.  Is this normal?

Wondering if this could be associated with the throttle linkage (which was changed) or maybe Sniper configuration.

Skdmark

I've got a sniper on a 318 / 904 with a 7-1/4 and 2.76 gears. Going on 3 years of having it installed.
Will try to help.

Did you just install it or have had it for awhile and it's acting up?
It takes a couple hundred miles to get the closed loop computer learning to even out.
Later on you can download the fuel table and manually fine tune it.

Any issues on going 2-3?

What did you use for kickdown linkage?
I had to do a couple mods to my stock setup to get the proper throw.

Are you running the hyperspark distributor with timing control?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70pumpkin

It's been installed for 1-2 years and ever since the install, the car has always hesitated between 1-2; 2-3 is fine.  The issue has always bugged me but I lived with it and never got off my butt to do anything about it. 

I had a shop who does muscle cars do the install; he's a trustworthy old school guy but does focus more on Chevys.  The work summary says "modify throttle body throttle shaft to accept original throttle cable and kickdown rod.  Install new throttle cable bracket, throttle body, modify kickdown rod."  Need to look at the parts list but I think he used a Lokar setup.

And yes, the setup uses the hyperspark for timing.

Thanks.

Skdmark

I'm not familiar with the lokar setup.
I have heard of people using it as a popular alternative when doing swaps. Probably worthwhile to check the throttle linkage and the mechanical connections first.

For what it is worth, here is the setup I made up using my stock linkage, some 340 parts, and 2 parts from Holley. See post #57.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/71-barracuda-ev2-h5xv/17032/45
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: