Main Menu

Holley Sniper EFI

Started by 303 Mopar, June 09, 2018, 04:40:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

The 505 stroker in the Charger has been battling vapor lock at times over the past year or so, and I've been watching and researching all of the EFI offerings.  I considered port injection but could not find a set up that would clear the hood since it slopes down toward the front.  I finally pulled the trigger on the Holley Sniper EFI.

All parts including the Holley tank with in-tank pump, new braided lines with AN fittings, Holley EFI distributor with MSD box to be able to have the system adjust the timing and the Sniper unit with touch screen totaled about $2k. Although I think I could have installed it myself, I had a local speed shop who installs these EFI units all the time and has a dyno do it.  He even did a dyno run with the 850 Proform carb before converting it to get a base line number.

The overall HP and TQ difference was minimal which came in around 441 hp and 530 tq at the wheels.  There was also an 20 degree increase in temp when we ran the EFI to near 100 degrees, plus I'm near 5300' elevation.  Since it is a BB stroker, I'm not concerned about MPG but I'm assuming there is some gain.  However the biggest benefit so far beyond a switch of the key and it fires every time, is the instant response from the throttle.

The 505 stroker build is here in case you are interested - https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/505-stroker-parts-list/26/msg108#msg108

Strawdawg

Great job on a beautiful car!  glad it all worked out and you are happy.  If you ever drive it enough to get a gas mileage result, that will be interesting as well. :bradsthumb:
Steve

Chryco Psycho

xx88man

This looks awesome! I'm glad you are happy with it. Am I reading that correctly....the engine runs 20 degrees warmer?
Keep yer foot in it

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: xx88man on June 09, 2018, 06:42:37 AM
This looks awesome! I'm glad you are happy with it. Am I reading that correctly....the engine runs 20 degrees warmer?

I think he's saying the ambient temp was 20 degrees warmer & the engine made the same power as when it was cooler....

xx88man

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 09, 2018, 07:01:49 AM
Quote from: xx88man on June 09, 2018, 06:42:37 AM

I think he's saying the ambient temp was 20 degrees warmer & the engine made the same power as when it was cooler....

Oh awesome! I see it now......thanks for clearing that up for me!   :bigthumb:
Keep yer foot in it

RUNCHARGER

Thanks for the feedback on it. My son runs a Sniper on his truck and an MSD on his Cobra and they both have been trouble free. It seems every Fitech I know of has had a slight issue. I think your MPG will improve and ring seal will last longer as well.
Sheldon

nsmall

Just in time for summer.  Are you going to put it on the dyno again when the weather is similar to see if there is an increase in horse power?  Either way, I hope you are happy.  2k plus whatever you spent for the install is a lot of money, but now you have some peace of mind.

GrandpaKevin

I've been looking at fuel injection systems also, I'm wondering why you went with the Holley Sniper system over the FITECH?

RCman

Of the reasons I went with the Sniper;
- Ease of a literal plug and play distributor for timing control. I'm using the Dual Sync but they have a new cheaper unit out now. When I did my setup FiTech was a little iffy about integration with distributors. Not sure if that has changed.
- Laptop software availability without having to buy the more expensive kits to get it
- Handheld (personal preference here) felt nicer.
- Documentation & Support, seems to be a lot more information on the Holley and setups
- Holley being a business for decades vs a  relatively new company to the market

I've got some good miles on my Holley Sniper setup and no complaints thus far. Contrary to what RUNCHARGER said though, I didn't notice much if any MPG improvements but cold starts, throttle response, and idle are light-years much better.

Strawdawg

Not to mention of quite a few reports of FITech problems.
Steve

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Strawdawg on July 22, 2018, 06:47:43 PM
Not to mention of quite a few reports of FITech problems.
[/quote

There have been Holley problems too.... Difference is Holley tech support is easier to deal with.... But FiTech has cured plenty of peoples problems too, just harder to get in contact with the people who can actually help....

As far as "Holley being a business for decades vs a  relatively new company to the market"  While thats true the people at FiTech have plenty of experience with FI, Holley has certainly had their troubles with FI... Problem is they didn't take any responsibility for their past failures.... Which doesn't give me a warm & fuzzy feeling about giving them money for their current offering.... Which I might add would likely never have come to market if FiTech hadn't brought their product to market for less then half of what Holley had been selling their last systems for....

Strawdawg

I remember the '80's as well.  I junked a Holley system then.  I moved on and got over it.

I am not smart enuf to speculate on why Holley brought out a cheaper model recently. Nor will I hang them for problems 30 years ago as I have suffered with FAST and others, more recently. 

I'm not a big fan of throttle body systems, but, price wise, I like the Holley based on reports and available options that make it easy to get going.  I know you hate Holley as you have repeated your bad experience.  :)

For street cars, I would probably choose a port injection Megasquirt system but they are not nearly as PnP for the cars we are discussing here.

Steve