Main Menu

How to replace 383 motor mounts ?

Started by Racer57, September 08, 2018, 07:16:49 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

70 Cuda 383 4speed.

My motor mounts are shot. How do you remove the driver side ? It looks like the steering box, dipstick tube etc are all in the way. Everything else looks pretty straight forward except for some of the nuts are going to be a pain to get too.
Does both need to have all bracket bolts removed, then motor jacked up so that both are replaced at same time ?

Cuda Cody

I've never done it in the car, but I would think you can lift it up once they are loose and replace them when the engine is up a few inches.  Would be best to have an extra set of hands and eyes when you do it.  :notsure:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Racer57

I have a 4post lift so I am able to work underneath the car when its required fairly easy. My primary concern is whether the steering box or dipstick tube needs to be removed. It doesn't look like theres room otherwise to get the mount/bracket out.

Racer57

Anyone replaced a drivers side motor mount while its in the car ?

Chryco Psycho

Yes I have many times , the dipstick is bolted to the block with the engine mount bolt , remove the cross bolt , raise the engine & you can get the 3 bolts out , you do not need to remove the steering box , it is tight but you can do it  :bigthumb:

Racer57

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 09, 2018, 11:03:34 PM
Yes I have many times , the dipstick is bolted to the block with the engine mount bolt , remove the cross bolt , raise the engine & you can get the 3 bolts out , you do not need to remove the steering box , it is tight but you can do it  :bigthumb:
Pulling dipsticks always scares me.  :(  How do you do it without bending or crushing ?

fc7cuda

Quote from: Racer57 on September 10, 2018, 05:49:00 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 09, 2018, 11:03:34 PM
Pulling dipsticks always scares me.  :(  How do you do it without bending or crushing ?

It remains in place(dipstick).  Once the long cross bolt is out, along with the other two, the mount will be loose.  Don't forget to support, then raise block slightly for room to get the rubber mount up and over its guide tab.  Also, remember remove rubber mount cross bolt too.  :bigthumb:

dodj

I did what you are doing but with a 440. to lift the engine on the side I was replacing the mount,  I used a bottle jack with a small block of wood positioned to lift the block from the oil pan rail (where the bolt heads are).
First I put just enough lifting pressure on it to hold the bottle jack in position while I removed the mount bolts. Once all the bolts were removed, I lifted the engine enough to get the old mount out (pivoting on the opposite mount). Depending on clearance, you may want to open the hood to ensure you don't push your air cleaner into the underside of the hood. Then I bolted the new mount to the engine, then slowly lowered the engine back down until the bolt hole lined up. Then repeat for the other side.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Racer57