Main Menu

Cooling Suggestions Mech Water pump

Started by TelisSE440, January 25, 2020, 01:08:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

TelisSE440

Thinking of removing the Meziere electric water pump from my Challenger and installing a mechanical. What do you suggest for mechanical water pump/housing/thermostat?

The Meziere pump was there when i bought it. Reasons behind this are mostly being able to use a thermostat effectively, reliability/streetability and fixing the heater. Car has a mild build 440 0.40'' over, 1 7/8'' Headers, 950 cfm Holley carb, ported 906 heads, 3'' exhaust, Champion 3 core 26'' rad with shroud/electric fans/PAC-2750.

Just some more questions

-I believe a high flow mech pump is mandatory but is there a particular brand that is efficient/reliable? (Milodon Edelbrock Flowkooler etc)

-What size WP pulley should i use? Car has the stock crank pulley, turning the alternator only

-Should i use a Balanced High Flow thermostat? (180F?)

-I have the stock water pump housing (cast iron), it seems OK but should i use this or get a new aluminum?

Thanks in advance guys!

Brads70

I'm using the Milodon 16260 with no issues. I'm also using a Milodon thermostat.  As for the pulley if you can find a used one close by they are made new.
https://bouchillonperformance.com/products-water-pump-pulleys
http://store.440source.com/Water-Pump-Pulleys/products/82/

10 years ago I had issues with the 440 source water pump housing , some passages were much narrower/thinner than stock  I believe causing a restriction, so I went back to the stock cast iron unit and have had no issues.

dodj

Maybe you can tease out the differences with some research, but, I have had the exact opposite experience from that of Brad.  :dunno:
I had Mopar stock pump and housing on my '76 440. The temp gauge always read a little past half way. It would creep up a bit when idling a lot but never overheat.
A few years ago, around 10, give or take, I decided to lighten up the 440 and started with the pump and housing. There was a significant thread on Moparts at the time about the effectiveness of the 440 source pump/housing.
Pro and con arguments over several pages. What I got out of the long thread was the clearance from pump impeller to housing was the important thing to be aware of. As tight as possible without touching.
Instead of mixing a different pump with the 440 housing, I bought the pair together from 440 source with the thinnest gasket on offer. I don't remember the thickness measurement but it was pretty much a thin piece of paper.
I put in a new 195* mopar tstat and my temp gauge is rock solid half way in between the 1/4 and 1/2 hash marks.

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

screamindriver

The 440 source housings had a smaller passage with the first offerings from the company..Just enough for a noticeable difference in the cooling ability and so the reason for the bad rap..I'm assuming that was fixed quite a while back..
   I've always had good luck with the factory housing and a quality water pump with the anti-cavitation plate...The balanced thermostat is always a good idea my understanding is if they fail, they fail open and not closed making trouble that wouldn't allow you to get home..