Main Menu

Hydraulic Clutch Fluid Question

Started by Daveh, August 14, 2017, 08:58:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I'm about ready to bleed the hydraulic clutch on my Tremec transmission.  My question is what fluid to use?  I'm using DOT 5 on the brake system because I don't want to have a leak and ruin my pretty new paint.  I spoke with Gene at Silver Sport and he said DOT 4 but has a few customers that swear by the DOT 5 in the clutch master cylinder but that's not what they put in the instructions.

I've heard both trains of thought.  He said if it leaked it would be the seals in the master cylinder, I didn't want to have to pull the trans but that wouldn't be the case.  What do you guys think? Thanks

Dave

GoodysGotaCuda

I have SST parts with DOT5.

now I only have 22miles on the car, but it all is working. Wilwood doesn't care what fluid you put in it, I confirmed that with them directly. I'm not sure who makes the throwout bearing, but that's the only area in question.

That being said, I have no plans to swap out the DOT5 unless something fails very prematurely. For cars like these, if parts that were supposed to last 100,000 miles only last 25,000..,that's not a big deal. Several years worth of driving. I,  too, didn't want damaged paint and love that about DOT5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Shane Kelley

Run the 5. You will be fine and not have to worry about paint damage with a leak or mishap.

Daveh

Exactly what I wanted to hear.  Thanks guys. 

Voodoo Child

I went with the Dot4 in my Tremec kit from SST as per there instructions and no issues. When I had Ben there tech guy on the phone for one of my calls I asked him about Dot5 for the clutch? I can't remember the reason he gave me, but he strongly recommended sticking with the Dot4!   :notsure:

Daveh

I liked Bed he was very helpful.  I thinks he's moved over to the shipping department.  I get the whole DOT 4 but like I said I don't want my paint ruined so I'm hoping for more support for the DOT 5. 

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Daveh on August 14, 2017, 11:54:20 AM
I liked Bed he was very helpful.  I thinks he's moved over to the shipping department.  I get the whole DOT 4 but like I said I don't want my paint ruined so I'm hoping for more support for the DOT 5.

I did a Tremec conversion on a 70 Hemi Challenger in 2015. I'm sure there hasn't been 1000 miles put on it but no issues with the dot 5 so far.

HP_Cuda

It depends on the seals used in both your master cylinder and your calipers.

Some use older seals which need DOT3 otherwise they get eaten up by the newer formulas.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Daveh

Part of me want's to take the chance just because when you spend so much on painting your car it's worth at least trying.  The thought of having the paint get screwed up in an instant would really bum me out.  I have read articles where they claim that tests indicate that DOT 5 doesn't really mess with the seals at all and the fact that it's still being used especially in high end cars is a testament to that. 

I'm still confused?    :dunno:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Daveh on August 14, 2017, 12:26:10 PM
Part of me want's to take the chance just because when you spend so much on painting your car it's worth at least trying.  The thought of having the paint get screwed up in an instant would really bum me out.  I have read articles where they claim that tests indicate that DOT 5 doesn't really mess with the seals at all and the fact that it's still being used especially in high end cars is a testament to that. 

I'm still confused?    :dunno:

The paint concern is what convinced me to use it. I'm freshly painted too.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

cordodge

I also wanted to run DOT 5 for the same reason but called and was told it would eat the seals and I didn't want to get into that so I stuck with DOT3 which they recomended

Daveh

Hey guys I just got off of the phone with Wilwood and they said that as long as the system is completely dry of any DOT 3 or 4 then it will be fine.  They've done the R&D and the seals haven't gotten eaten up from the DOT 5.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Daveh on August 14, 2017, 02:05:01 PM
Hey guys I just got off of the phone with Wilwood and they said that as long as the system is completely dry of any DOT 3 or 4 then it will be fine.  They've done the R&D and the seals haven't gotten eaten up from the DOT 5.

I heard the same from them. Who makes SSTs throwout bearing? Id like to reach out to them too.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Voodoo Child

Quote from: Daveh on August 14, 2017, 02:05:01 PM
I have 4wdb set up on mine, stock front and Master Power rear. Flushed out system with alcohol and air. Dot5 added 4yrs now and no issues.