Main Menu

Install cam through front ?

Started by Racer57, October 08, 2022, 07:33:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

70 Cuda 383

If radiator is removed, can a cam be swapped out without removing engine ? Friend told me he used to do it all the time.  :notsure:

Cudajason

On a small block, yes. I would bet the same on a big block.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

MoparLeo

As long as you don't have a/c and the grill may need removal as well.
Did your friend have a lot of cars or a lot of cam problems. Most people didn't have to do it "all the time."...
You are basically taking the engine down to a short block. Depending on the mileage and any oil leaks you may have, you might want to just go all the way and drop or pull the engine. If it has a/t, p/s, a/c, you have to drain the oil, coolant, disconnect the transmission lines , evacuate the a/c and remove the condenser, compressor, water pump, timing gear/chain, heads, exhaust, engine wiring, distributor, . Heads rebuilt depending on cam lift, valve seat condition ( 1970 heads do not have hardened valve seats requiring leaded fuel or substitute) quality gasket set, oil, plugs, belts, hoses, clamps, coolant, thermostat timing set, possible fuel pump, water pump, radiator rod out, core plugs if they are old/corroded proper tools and service manual.
Starts small and gets big...
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

anlauto

People did it all the time back in the day ! :wrenching: 

A lot easier then doing it from the rear :haha: :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

Yes, you can fairly easily replace the cam without removing the engine.   

I have done it on my 66 Charger with a 383 big block, and i have done it on my 74 Challenger with a small block AND AC.   On the Challenger with Vintage Air, i was able to remove the radiator, and move the AC Condenser enough to get it out and back in.   

On the Challenger the biggest problem wasn't getting the camshaft out or the new one in after moving the condenser to the side, the biggest issue is putting back on the timing chain cover and getting it to seal at the oil pan and getting all of the bolts lined up.   You really cant see well enough to get the bolt holes perfectly aligned so getting them all to start was an issue.   Also, recognize on the small block, the timing chain cover sits on top of the last two bolts from the bottom for the oil pan.   When you remove it, you definitely will ruin the end of the gasket.   New gasket kits for camshaft replacement give you a small pieces of replacement pan gasket that you can put in, but, uncompressed the timing chain cover will be too high to get the bolts in so you have to put in the pan bolts first and draw it down the exact right amount to get all of the timing chain cover bolts to line up VERY DIFFICULT!!!   Also, those little gasket pieces tend to "push out.   

The solution i used was to instead use "The Right Stuff" in sufficient quantity to fill in without using the two replacement short pieces of pan gasket.   Still then once all of the timing chain bolts were started (using short substitute bolts where the water pump goes and then installing the water pump after) it was difficult.   The Right Stuff is awesome... 

Racer57

Thanks for the info.    :D    :pullinghair: :headbang:

I'll leave it alone until the engine is shot. Engine uses zero oil and has no leaks. So its going to be awhile.  But I would live to hear a slight thumper.  :D

If your going to do it, do it right !   Is what my Dad always told me. 

RUNCHARGER

I've done it many times on Hemis in E-bodies. It takes about 6 hours being careful.
Sheldon

dodj

Worked fine with my 440....pretty sure you will be fine with a 383.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

tparker

As mentioned earlier, small blocks have an issue that the timing chain cover is bolted to the oil pan. This seems to be a pain point and I am not sure I would want to do this. It is possible to not get stuff just right. I am sure it is possible but if not done right I am sure it can lead to lots of frustration and failures in the seal later. I guess the option is to pull the motor which is a bit of a pain. but at least you can get easy access and double check your work with a clear line of sight. Neither is fun. If you have done several in the car, it probably isn't that bad. Either way it is probably a weekend task for most people.