Main Menu

Is this the right way to test the ballast resistor

Started by blown motor, September 24, 2024, 03:30:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Quote from: blown motor on September 29, 2024, 07:18:39 PMI'm using a Rev-N-Nator.
I'm not familiar with it. As far as wiring it is the same as stock? Or is it a rewire like the msd?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

Quote from: dodj on September 29, 2024, 01:37:28 PM
Quote from: chargerdon on September 27, 2024, 05:19:20 AMthen the resistor can lower that voltage to even lower.   
The resistor is bypassed during start, at least it is supposed to be wired that way. Limits coil voltage once it's running.

There are two different electrical paths...   During start the resistor for the coil is bypassed to give a hotter spark for starting....However, trace the path and you will see that during "start" the voltage to the ECU gets passed thru the other side of the resistor thus lowering its voltage...with the voltage already dropping to near 9 due to the starter drawing massive power that can then drop the voltage to the ECU.  If it drops below 6 volt it wont recognize the reluctor and will not trigger the fire of the coil.   

That is why the connections for the "start" cycle thru the flat connector at steering wheel and thru bulkhead have to be clean !!   It can be a problem...   

blown motor

Quote from: dodj on Today at 04:32:50 AM
Quote from: blown motor on September 29, 2024, 07:18:39 PMI'm using a Rev-N-Nator.
I'm not familiar with it. As far as wiring it is the same as stock? Or is it a rewire like the msd?

I looks just like the original ECU but has a built in rev limiter. It's plug and play.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Bullitt-

Quote from: blown motor on Today at 06:44:02 AM
Quote from: dodj on Today at 04:32:50 AM

I looks just like the original ECU but has a built in rev limiter. It's plug and play.
Rev-N-Nator is a 4-pin ECU so the ballast would not effect it but I imagine if voltage is to low that would cause an issue. 
I'd want a known good ECU on hand to test with.  :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]