Main Menu

I've got the 318 Blues

Started by manycj, April 13, 2017, 06:49:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

manycj

So I am ready to paint my 1970 318 engine and have run into a little color dilemma. I am lead to believe that the color should be mopar P4349217 (dupont 5351D,  PPG 2423) from the David Wise books and from other sources.  So I bought Mopar Performance  P4349217AB and it looks nothing like the original color.  The following picture you can see my original torque convertor and flywheel (kind of a blue/green), a distributor core from a 74 mopar 318 (med blue) and a valve cover that I hit with the Mopar Performance  P4349217AB paint (kind of matches the distributor).  I've looked at paint chips for PPG 2423 and they match the valve cover. So what am I use now?  Is it supposed to be the B/RB turquois ? 

Chris
<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

Cuda Cody

First off, if you can use a 2 part engine paint you will get a much better and longer lasting result.  Secondly, there are a few suppliers that sell high quality engine paints that match super close to the originals.  I've never used Frank and Roger's blue paint, but I hear it's really good.  Also, you never know if the Torque converter was replaced at some point so I would be careful using that as the only source to get a match.  :alan2cents:

http://www.rogergibsonautorestoration.com/

BLUEP = NEW! Our own authentic formula. 1971-73 engine blue enamel. Avail. Pint $60.00
TURP 67-68 big block "turquoise" green engine paint.  Authentic and correct color Pint $65.00

I like to use a guy out of NY that makes his own mix.  But I'm not sure he does the blue?   :notsure: 

Burdar

That does look way off. It should be blue though.  It's hard using old engine paint to figure out what the color was.  That torque convertor paint has been through thousands of heat cycles. I wouldn't trust it to be 100% accurate after that.  I used PlastiKote 232 on my 73.

rhamson

Summit has the Mopar Performance color of Turquoise. I heard it was supposed to be Corporate Blue but Ford has a color by that name as well. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4120752?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-mopar-performance&gclid=CKO-9-7jodMCFcSEswodxZgD5w :dunno: 

manycj

The funny thing is, some of the original pictures are close to the mopar performance color, but the OE gold Duster looks turquois to me which would be wrong. the "OE gold" Duster car also has exhaust gaskets. That would not be factory correct.

I just ordered a pint of BLUEP from Frank.  He computer matched it to a performance engine. I'll report back once I get it and shoot it on my engine.

thanks for the replies.
Chris

jimynick

Is that paint that buddy computer matched a 2 component paint? At $65 per pint you'd like to think so anyways. Why would it make a difference if you're painting the whole engine? Just curious.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cuda Cody

Yes, make sure you have the correct hardeners and thinners for the paint he sells.  Your local automotive paint store should be able to get you everything you need if you tell them the type of paint you have.

manycj

Frank told me that it's made using PPG Shop-Line. I've used this line may times. I'll be hitting it with a DP primer first. more to come.

Cuda Cody

PPG Shop Line?  Wonder if that is Omni?  Either way, it should need some type of hardener or thinner?  Did he tell you the mix ratio and what to mix with?

Quote from: manycj on April 14, 2017, 04:48:29 AM
Frank told me that it's made using PPG Shop-Line. I've used this line may times. I'll be hitting it with a DP primer first. more to come.

manycj

I am still waiting for it to come in, but Frank told me that it comes with mixing instructions.  It will require a hardener and reducer. It is probably Omni. Once I get my engine in color I'll post what I learned.

Chris

1 Wild R/T

manycj

My engine is now in color.  :banana:

I used the custom mixed PPG ShopLine Enamel paint from Roger Gibson Restorations (BLUEP).  It is mixed 6:4 with JR5570 reducer w/o hardener.  It came out great.  Note: I sprayed it after priming the block with DP90LF black epoxy primer.

I sprayed some on an old valve cover to compare it to the Mopar Performance paint, and found that the Mopar Performance color was a bit darker.  I think that the Roger Gibson paint is the correct shade.

Originally I thought my engine was supposed to be more of a turquois, but everything and everyone pointed me to the blue that it is painted now.  I found this interesting note on engine colors on the web:

Blue  - (No Mopar number)   (Color code never appeared in manuals)
Slightly darker than the standard blue used on the 70's LA engines. Paint also turned Turquoise with heat. Even Galen Govier does not have a spec for mixing. This paint was used on a lot of 340' and other LA engines in late 69. Most restorers use Blue Mopar P4349217 (above) to repaint and the judges agree.

https://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=106.0

This kind of confirms what I was seeing color-wise. I was seeing turquoise-ish paint on the block and torque converter, but not on the valve covers. either way, I think the Roger Gibson blue is the correct color and the initial paint mix from mopar may have had color changing issues early on, but got resolved.

Chris

RUNCHARGER

Perfect: So much better than spray bombs.
Sheldon

chal340

I saw they have hemi orange too. Huum, for my other 340. :). 1 pint is enough for on complete engine?
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.