Main Menu

Edelbrock or Holley or ???

Started by 340Challman, February 21, 2022, 06:58:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340Challman

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 23, 2022, 09:09:46 AM
Personally I Hate eddy carbs , poor adjustability .
I trade or throw them away , never use them .

I was wondering about that. The more I find on them, the more it appears the secondaries operate like the secondaries on a Q-jet. I'm thinking I'd be better sticking with what I know.
Thanks CP for the input.
Kevin

HP2

The AFB has a mechanical secondary linkage that allows the driver to open the throttle blades, at the bottom of the carb, with an air velocity air valve at the top of the carb that depends on air flow to pull it open.  You can adjust the speed the air valve opens by drilling or grinding weight off the AFB air valve counterweights.

The AVS is the same thing except the air valve is externally adjustable. It has a spring loaded air valve and you can adjust the tension in this spring to alter door opening speed and thus the secondary kick in point.

So both versions of Ebrock carbs are actually mechanical linkage carbs with a air flow metering device to prevent them from fully pulling in fuel. This is different than a mechanical linkage Holley double pumper, but without the vacuum canister like a Holley vacuum carb but with the same ability to change the opening characteristics based on air flow.

Tuning Ebrocks is actually very easy. You can change squirters like a Holley but they don't have power valves to blow out. Instead they have step up springs and rods/jets the alter the fuel curve. They can be adjusted without dumping a bowl full of gas all over the engine, which is nice.

I've always had good luck with both the late Carter version and the Ebrock version. They may give  up a few horses to a well dialed in Holley, but I've never done a head to head comparison to verify.

dodj

Sooo...you like them or not?  :huh: Quit beatin' around the bush.

:rofl:

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Dmod1974

I agree that Edelbrock carbs suck for adjustability compared to a Holley.  That simplicity and ease of use that they tote with that design also makes it harder to get them dialed in quite right since they are less complex and limited.  Before I went EFI, I ran an 800cfm AVS carb and I could never get it where I wanted to be at all operating states.  It was always a compromise.  I wish I had started with a Holley and taken the time to learn to dial it in.  They just have so much more that you can change right out of the box.

nsmall

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 22, 2022, 04:23:16 PM
OEM resto means having the original carb restored. If you don't have it you need to find the correct one and have it restored. If it's a hot rod I would put a Holley or Quick Fuel on it.

:iagree:

Chryco Psycho

We did a dyno day about 3 years ago , took a small block & a bunch of parts & tried every combo to see what would work best , learned a lot , we did a pull every 11 mins , we were that organized & had a plan what to try in what order we swapped intakes , rocker ratios , headers & ported exhaust manifolds you name it  , we used a 650 CFM Race Proform , no choke .
At the end of the day the dyno operator bet me he could make as much power with a Carter AVS from a Mopar , I took the bait , I took apart the 625 AVS to make sure everything was set correctly , might as well make it a fair test  & on it went , immediately lost 50 flywheel HP , tuning did nothing to improve it .
Now Personally I feel the AVS was a Far better carb than the 1 size fits all Eddy carbs .
I put them in the trash , why work so hard to make every possible HP & throw away 50 + just using a bad carb ??

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: dodj on February 23, 2022, 05:20:16 PM
Sooo...you like them or not?  :huh: Quit beatin' around the bush.

:rofl:

Sorry about being Unclear
I %$$^#$#*^$ ing HATE Eddy carbs  :steamingmad:
As A friend put it is is barely a controlled fuel leak !

tparker

@Chryco Psycho is this hatred for Eddlebrock specifically or for the Carter AVS/ABS? If only the Eddlebrock, what's different from the carter version?

Chryco Psycho

The Carter versions were tuned to each engine , this is why there is so many #s for each application , for example the 340 4 spd used a differently tuned carb from the 340 auto .
Mopar never really used the AFB , virtually all engines used the better AVS which is somewhat more tunable , the 1 notable exception was the Street Hemi which they wanted to detune for street use anyway , using the crossram & 2 Holleys dramatically increased the HP.
The AFB & AVS are a basic design , simple & reliable but far from max effort / power .
Eddy basically sells 1 size fits all AFB 1406 or 1411 & both run lean on Mopars , they now have the Thunder series which is better  as it is based on the AVS design but still 650 or 800 cfm , 1 size fits all not tuned to each engine like original Carters were as supplied to the factory .
There was a progression with carbs you look at the 40-50s & the carbs were very small & in higher HP multiple carbs were used , into the 60s the Holley 4150/4160 were used more as well as the Carters  & in the late 60s the Dominator was created to get past the limitations of the 4150 throttle bodies  to flow more air , there was even a 3 bbl , I own one , where Holley tried to max air flow through the 4150 Throttle body .
Simply put there is far more adjustability with the Holley design & far more again with EFI , why throw away 50 HP when you work so hard to buy the HP when building an engine . Also the efficiency increases with good tuning so you gain power & mileage .

340Challman

The last thing I want on an 11+:1 motor is to go lean. :stop: It costs too damn much to build a motor today to run lean. It isn't going to run lean at low rpm, it's going to be at high rpm under load. No sir. Not me.
Kevin