Main Menu

Leaking fuel sender

Started by Mark_B, May 28, 2022, 10:29:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mark_B

Hi All,

I had this one fitted only a year old and it's started leaking.  Unfortunately the original sender rings were thrown away with the previous leak.

Are the new fuel sender rings thinner so they don't fit the original tanks very well?

Do I need to buy a new fuel tank to fit the new sender?

Thanks for any help you can give.

JH27N0B

I wonder if that will work in my 78 Magnum, it's sender leaks a bit.
Expensive as our E body car parts can be, after getting my Magnum I'm feeling like I didn't know lucky I was with my Challengers.  More parts than not are not available for late B bodies.  I found even fuel tanks aren't available anymore.
Something to think about when getting bummed about your credit card bill after buying some stuff for your Challenger or cuda!

Skdmark

I 've replaced the sending unit seals on both of my cars in the last couple of years and have not had any issues.
How tight is the locking ring?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Mark_B

Thanks for that link.

The locking ring is tight.

7212Mopar

I hope you saved your OEM locking ring and is reusable. The new ring that comes with the new gasket is made out of thinner gauge steel and may distort when hammering to lock. Also use a very thin layer of silicone grease both sides to help keep the gasket in place and easier for the ring to rotate.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

73Dodge

Generally the issue with a leaking replacement fuel sender is, as an earlier post mentioned, the replacement locking ring steel being too thin. DMT's replacement (Jay Bee's link above) is much closer to OEM thickness or another trick some have used is to double up on the rubber gasket. For the few bucks it costs, I also highly recommend getting a lock ring wrench. It's much easier to use and less stress on the ring than hammering at it with a screwdriver.