Main Menu

Leaking lower radiator hose/water pump

Started by Fern, April 14, 2020, 03:06:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Fern

So the water pump where the lower radiator hose attatches to is slightly mismake. It looks like when it was cast, one half is a little offset form the other half.  This creates a slight ridge and I cant get it to stop leaking.
Has anyone had this problem? I tried to file it smooth but to get in the spot is near impossible without removing the pump(which I was trying to avoid).

Chryco Psycho

Can you get in with a dremel or die grinder ?
I bet if you put a bead of right stuff into the groove it would seal up , I would sel the pump & let it dry up then if nessisary put a bit around the neck as you slide the hose on over it , might be hard to get the hose off later !!

jimynick

You could try using a coarse grit emery strip wrapped around the neck and use a back and forth pulling motion to see if you can slim the high side. While I agree with Neil that The Right Stuff is an awesome sealant, you'll never get the hose off in one piece should you need to, if you use it. You know the old expression "sticks like sh t to a blanket"? Well, it does. You'd need to cut it off in small pieces and that'll make pulling and "filing" the old pump look like a good alternative. Double clamp it? Good luck   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Fern

Thanks for the replies.
I will try and double clamp the hose first. Maybe put the 2nd clamp over the Ridge of the neck.
If that fails, I will have to remove the pump and grind it down.

usraptor

Aftermarket aluminum pumps are not that expensive and it might be worth just buying another pump and avoiding all the hassle of trying to get that one to seal.