Main Menu

Leaky Thermoquad

Started by Cudino, May 09, 2017, 12:59:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: jimynick on May 09, 2017, 08:16:45 PM
while I quite agree that a float issue may be the culprit here, I've also got suspicions about those swine O-rings mentioned. While they were put in the bowl, were they in the correct position to seal as they're supposed to do? They were the issue when I rebuilt my TQ. Just my  :alan2cents:

Those O rings keep fuel from pouring into the engine through the lettering wells but don't effect fuel coming out the top...

Cudino

OK, I found and fixed the culprit (with your guy's great help)!  It was indeed warpage of the phenolic, just as Sheldon and Cody suggested.

To diagnose it, first thing is I ran the car for a bit, then pulled the carb off, being sure to hold it flat.  I then removed the air horn, and found the bowls to be about 2/3 full.  More importantly, the walls of the top 1/4" of the bowls were bone dry, so I felt good about the float operation.  So then I took the phenolic center out and set it on a flat table.  Can you say U-shaped???  Especially right in those 2 back corners.  Ugh!  While the floats were fine, those corners are right where the needle valves are, and as Wild suggested I believe the fuel was splashing around the needles on entry, which then spewed fuel out of these practically unsealed corners.  Before this fix, driving the car 2-3 blocks would be enough to soak each corner halfway down the sides of the phenolic.

So, as suggested I sanded and sanded it on a flat surface, then sanded some more... For about a half hour, until that top surface was perfectly flat.  After reassembly and reinstallation I just got back from a 1 mile trip around the neighborhood, and no wetness whatsoever!  Thanks All!

- Wade

Cuda Cody

Nice job everyone!!!!   :clapping:   Glad to hear that you got it fixed.    :bradsthumb:

1 Wild R/T

Back in the 70's & early 80's our local Chrysler dealer parts dept kept 2-3 Thermoquad bodies on the shelf....  Common problem... Still a great carb....

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Bullitt-

:woohoo:   Great Work...   

All that being said I've had my hands inside of probably a dozen TQs & never found a warped phenolic body   :dunno:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

jimynick

Glad to hear you not only found the problem, but were able to fix it, good going!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

ScottSmith_Harms

Glad to hear you figured it out. For what its worth, contrary to popular belief warped bodies on TQs are quite rare. I probably restore 100 a year and havent had a warped one (enough to require repairs) in over 5 years. That said, its a standard procedure of mine to check them all on a surface plate for flatness. A small amount of warpage is normal and wont leak once the screws and gaskets are properly installed but excessive warpage can lead to leaks and other problems. .02

Cudino

Thanks again for all the nice comments and great support.  Like I said, in hindsight I should have just checked the flatness while I had it all apart the first time.  Live and Learn!  Much appreciated guys, thanks!

- Wade