Main Menu

Length of Dip Stick from end to Full Line - 440HP with #402 Pan

Started by chaps70rt, March 24, 2023, 10:54:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chaps70rt

Can someone with an original 440 with a #402 oil pan provide the above length??

Thanks in advance .....   I suspect mine is the incorrect length for my pan ('67 HP motor).
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Cuda_mark

Are you wondering if your "full" line is accurate? If so, I would think that is based off of your oil pickup and not the pan.

chaps70rt

My thoughts were that the pan type had some relevance on how the dip stick read.   My engine was assembled with different heads (915) and a
different pan (402) due to storage damage, plus no dipstick.    I purchased a chrome one on eBay 15 years ago.  It works, but I am suspicious how
accurate it is and if the length of the aftermarket dip stick was correct for my set up.

Suggestions??
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

JH27N0B

My 440 6 pack had an incorrect for it 402 pan on it, which got damaged last summer.
We replaced it with a correct size repo pan, and upon filling it with the correct quantity of oil, found it read low on the dipstick.  On further investigation we noticed the dipstick tube was not correctly installed, not fully seated, but we were wary of messing with it. So the solution we decided on was note on the dipstick where the oil is when correct number of quarts are in it, then scribed on it that level.  Full is the scribed line, not the full line stamped in it.
Previously when filled to the full line on the dipstick it was probably 1/2 quart to a quart overfilled.  :bricks:

Chryco Psycho

The dip stick has no relationship to the pan , the oil should be the same distance below the Crank , the length of the tube also has an effect on the lenght of the dipstick .