Main Menu

location on clutch pedal for hydraulic throw-out pushrod connection?

Started by Dakota, September 01, 2020, 03:21:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Grimmey71

Quote from: Dakota on September 23, 2020, 06:09:20 PM
I tried connecting the pushrod for the hydraulic bearing's master cylinder to the stock location.   With the over-center spring also installed, I could handle the clutch but my wife couldn't.   After looking at several options that all involved adding a bracket of some sort to the pedal, I ended up relocating the "arm" of the clutch pedal as shown in the pictures below.   This moved the stock mounting location to 2-1/8" from the pedal pivot which hits the 6:1 ratio with the pedal length as recommended by American Powertrain.  The reason the arm is "tipped" is to keep the mounting point for the over-center spring in its original position (the high tech pencil drawing in
One other note:  the shoulder bolt that comes with the Hyrdramax system is 5/16" diameter, which is just slightly smaller than the pin that's attached to the pedal for the stock clutch pushrod.   Just as I finished drilling the hole, the remnants of the stock pin popped out which left a hole a little too large for the shoulder bolt.   I had to weld the hole up and re-drill it. 

The bare metal on the first picture shows where the arm was originally located.   The 2nd picture just shows the pedal painted.   It's not perfect in appearance, but now it works.

The clutch pedal no longer reaches the rubber bumper in the pedal bracket, but it's not needed with the Hydramax anyways.   As an added bonus, the brake and clutch pedals are lined up now - that offset always bugged me.

Are you still using the over center spring?

Dakota

Yes - the spring is still in.   The clutch is working fine.

I just tried to remove the spring because your post reminded me that I meant to see how the clutch worked without it, but there's too much of me to fit under the dash while the seats are still in.   I'll be pulling the seats out at some point in the next couple of months it install some plates to provide more leg room.   Hopefully, I'll remember to pull the spring for a quick test.