Main Menu

Low vacuum/ high timing

Started by xx88man, December 21, 2023, 07:44:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

DeathProofCuda

Your first post mentioned that you had picked up a new timing light.  Have you tried checking the timing with another timing light that is known to work properly?  Have heard lots of stories about guys chucking their dial back lights because they didn't work right.  :alan2cents:

MoparLeo

Another factor is drivng style.
Timing advance is not a factor when driving hammer down/high RPM all the time.
It is a factor howerever if this is a stop and go, around town type of driver and has stock gearing/convertor and stock type tire diameter...
Many factors to consider in putting together a compatable package. More factors, more decisions to make.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

xx88man

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on December 23, 2023, 08:45:23 AMYour first post mentioned that you had picked up a new timing light.  Have you tried checking the timing with another timing light that is known to work properly?  Have heard lots of stories about guys chucking their dial back lights because they didn't work right.  :alan2cents:

The timing light that I replaced was giving me the same reading but was only working intermittently..
Keep yer foot in it

chargerdon

Strange...ok...i also have a 360la (408 stroker kit) with a large cam (Lunati 703 model) and it idles best at about 25 BTDC...   However anything above 20 and it gets very hard to start when at full temp.   To get around this problem i set the static at about 15% and use the full manifold side of the carb to add another 10 degrees when at idle.   when i say idle that is down to 750-800 RPM. 

I just did a google search and it says that most stock distributors begin advance at around 1200 rpm and are on full advance by 3500 RPM.  That is modifyiable by changing either the weights and or the springs in the distributor.   So, get that idle down to 800 and take a new reading !!!   

Ramman

I'm a big block guy, but since it's new to you, didn't the 360's have a different hub and flywheel/flexplate because of the external balance? Like a 440 6 barrel? Maybe someone stuck a regular LA damper on it. If it would even fit. That could also explain your vibration.

chargerdon

Indeed...stock 360la are externally balanced.   That is done with the Damper being weighted and the torque converter being weighted.   You can also buy flexplates that are weighted to allow you to use neutral weighted torque converters.   

However, i do believe that a neutral damper would physically fit on the crank, but, two things...first that would NOT affect the timing marks which are put onto the damper.   Second, and i could be wrong, but, it would result in a shaking way worse than just a vibration.