Main Menu

Setting timing

Started by Chryco Psycho, January 10, 2017, 08:14:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

The engine spend 90% of the time running at full advance above the advance curve so it is more important to have the timing set there than at idle. Most engine want more intial advance at idle than the factory curve will allow

Set the timing between 36-38* above 2500 rpm [ I usually turn the idle speed screw up to keep the rpm steady]with the vacuum hooked up , if it is over advanced you can hear it pop/ misfire in the exhaust.
I f you do not have a timing lite with the advance feature you can put a mark or cut into the damper 2 3/8" clockwise form TDC this is 36*

Now reset the idle speed & now try advancing the timing at idle , if the idle speed picks up it wants more initial timing so you need to shorten the curve.

You can put a small allen wrench into the hose nipple on the vacuum advance unit & turn counter clockwise to reduce the amount of extra advance the vacuum gives you & shorten the timing curve  [it will turn approx 14 turns total & will not hurt anything if you unthread it too far]

Now reset the timing above 2500 RPM  & try again at idle until it runs best both at idle & above 2500 rpm

I f you completely disable the vacuum advance & the engine still wants more advance at idle with the total timing set properly  the only option is to disassemble the dist & put a small tack weld in theslots for the advance weights which will shorten the curve even more

You will probably be surprised how much better the gas milage , response & power you will be adjusting the timing this way

Modify message