Main Menu

Lower radiator hose problem

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 07, 2023, 02:36:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I bought the Gates molded radiator hose from Rock Auto.  It does not seem to fit correctly.  I tried it in both orientations and neither way seems right.  In both cases, it seems too short and is bent over the oil filter.  There is a Continental brand on Rock Auto that appears to be shaped differently if the picture can be trusted.  Don't k ow if it is right or not? Any input would be appreciated.  I am running a 26 inch radiator on a 383.  Waterpump housing is not original.

mrwfp

I had a 440 motor with 440Source water pump/housing and a 26 inch radiator.  I used a Gates 20663 as the lower hose with no issues and that same hose is still being used with my 426 hemi.  Here is a picture of the previous hose that I replaced with the Gates. I believe it came from Advance Auto Parts and is stamped with 261  03D on the sides.  It is shaped with more curves that the 20663 that you have pictured.  That Continental looks like it is curved like my old hose more that your Gates picture. The last picture shows the Gates hose.  From this picture it looks like I need to do some cleaning!
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 426 hemi (InViolet)
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat (Go Mango)
1995 Dodge Caravan
2019 Dodge Durango

GoMangoBoys

I have the Gates 20663 hose.  It seems too short no matter which way I flip it.  Is it possible that I have a water pump housing that is different and therefore requiring a longer hose?  My water pump housing has the casting number 2780987.  That 9 might be an 8??? Can't tell for sure.  It seems more like a 9.
Thanks.

EV2RTSE

That's what I have on my 70 383 for a housing, I believe it to be original.