Main Menu

Magnum 5.9 swap into E-body

Started by BB73Challenger, June 12, 2018, 04:22:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BB73Challenger

So I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything, so I figured I would throw this out there for debate.

I have read in one of the Mopar mags that the 5.9 magnum is a pretty good swap partner for small block LA motors due to the simple mating of engine mounts and even trans.

The fuel injected motors bottom ends hold up good due to the engine management for fuel and spark.

So picking up a rusty but running 1500 or even junkyard warrantied motor can be done for just a few hundred dollars and swapped in a weekend.

I've seen and heard a number of the A body guys doing it since it is an upgrade of slant sixs, 273 and 318's, but anybody doing/done to their E-body.

I know we are lucky in the aspect that everything from 6's to big blocks make swaps easy(er), but is it a worth while option given 5.7 and bigger Hemi's are a little pricey.

So any input or opinions on it?
Wanted to start a conversation on it's pro's and con's and thought this was the best spot.

Jeff

1 Wild R/T

If your gonna do it grab a 91-95 truck/van with a 518.... Pretty easy swap & gives your overdrive....

I know the truck P/S bracket interferes, I think the van P/S bracket fits....

Cuda70-74

Wow that engine swap is a lot cheaper than the hemi swap. Kinda like my 89 gt mustang drivetrain swap I did in my mustang
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 12, 2018, 04:44:17 PM
If your gonna do it grab a 91-95 truck/van with a 518.... Pretty easy swap & gives your overdrive....

Pffft yeah good luck finding one of those!!!  No seriously are those relatively common in you area...because I would love to find one, even just the trans.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: Cudajason on June 12, 2018, 06:48:01 PM

Pffft yeah good luck finding one of those!!!  No seriously are those relatively common in you area...because I would love to find one, even just the trans.

Jason

You wont find any around here.....   :no: 

1 Wild R/T

Jason

Thirty second search.... I'n sure I could find more....
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ton-ram-wagon/6595532839.html

YellowThumper

I have plans to eventually install a 5.9 Magnum in my Challenger. Currently I have LA360 in it. Yes its physical exterior envelope is the same as old LA motors. If you currently have a 318. The motor mount on the drivers side is slightly different for the 360 (and 5.9). Vehicle mounting is the same. The front bolt(s) on block are also the same. However the rear bolting is narrower on the 360/5.9. 318 bracket will work if you add a spacer between bracket and motor flange. Bolt alignment is same. Just the spacing is different. Something like a 1/2" spacer or stack up of washers works.
Purchasing (if you can find one) an Ebody 360 mount is also possible.

As noted I still have LA360. What you see is the Magnum accessories adapted to it. 90% of the accessories bolt on. The remaining 10% is not for the faint of heart. They are very compact compared to the old items. Whole setup is several inches shorter so if you plan on using a conventional fan it will be much farther from radiator. Old school spares will not work. As you can see in pic they also sit up fairly high. Not sure if flat good would clear them. Upper radiator hose also normally goes over the top. I made my own routing as shown in pics.
Also, if you are an A833. The 5.9 flywheel counter balance weight is different for the newer motor. I picked up one from Bouchillon that I will be using.

Not sure how difficult adapting the old accessories would be to fit magnum motor. Some head and block bolt locations are different. I do know the timing chain cover is interchangeable.

Here is the cc link that details all of the shows and whys.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=106409.0

Good luck
Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 12, 2018, 07:11:19 PM

Jason

DAMNNNNNNNNN!!!!.  If that were around here it would be gone...sitting in my driveway and being torn apart before my wife got home!!!

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Cudajason on June 12, 2018, 07:20:17 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 12, 2018, 07:11:19 PM

Jason

DAMNNNNNNNNN!!!!.  If that were around here it would be gone...sitting in my driveway and being torn apart before my wife got home!!!

Jason

LOL!!!!!

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

Don't forget the obvious oil pan swap , truck / van will not fit an E body , I believe the Magnum uses a unique pan not the not the 360 LA one

RUNCHARGER

I had one of the first Magnums. A 92 318, that thing really hauled the mail. Apparently 92 was the good one for the 318.
Sheldon

BB73Challenger

Thanks for all the replies guys, I've got some thinking to do.
I'm thinking of a change in my Challenger, so all options on the trans are on the table as I do have an A833, and small block autos are also at my disposal ( keeping balance in mind ).
What prompted serious thought is there is a 5.9 Durango rotten to pieces but solid driveline by me that could be had for probably under 700, giving me at minimum the engine and any harness I'd want if sticking with the factory fuel injection.
I'll keep you guys informed of any changes, sounds like a good build thread should I go that route!

RUNCHARGER

IMO (and that's all it's worth) the factory intake on those was designed for a lowend torque, truck and was a bit ugly. Also you would have to deal with all the accessories on the front of the engine. If you want a modified look that's okay however I think I would be tempted to use the Magnum but strip the intake and front off of it and use the earlier accessories original to the car and an aftermarket intake and injection setup. Like I say though you may have a different vision of the final product than I do. I really prefer a manual trans too and a Durango will have a 4wd trans anyway which won't really work. The Magnum bolts up to your LA bellhousing (I'm sure you know) but would need a Magnum balanced flywheel.
There's a few different ways to do the swap and like you say there is lots to ponder. I'm not sure if someone makes a store bought harness for the  stock injection swap. There was one available a few years ago.
Sheldon

Cuda70-74

Hope u keep these thread update. I might go this route since its a lot cheaper than a hemi swap.
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

YellowThumper

Quote from: Cuda70-74 on June 13, 2018, 12:50:00 PM
Hope u keep these thread update. I might go this route since its a lot cheaper than a hemi swap.

Exactly why I am going that route.

Mike.